Franklin Street could see $530K in changes

Three streetscape upgrades up for consideration before the Town Council later this month could help town officials quiet longtime concerns with safety and lighting at several key downtown locations.

Council members were scheduled to decide Monday whether to take action on three proposed improvements totaling up to $530,000, but time constraints forced them to defer the items to their April 25 meeting.

Changes to the corner of Franklin and Columbia streets, the portion of Franklin Street adjacent to University Square, and West Franklin Street’s 500 and 600 blocks would become a reality this summer if the council approves the projects.

The Public Works Department hopes to add four mast-arm traffic signals, similar to some already in place on campus and in Carrboro, to the intersection of Franklin and Columbia streets, with two additional signals to be added next to Porthole Alley.

The town also would install new crosswalks with brightly colored designs at both locations.

Charles House, owner of University Florist, which sits in the thick of the proposed upgrades, said he was happy to see the town replacing the old, unsightly traffic signals and making crosswalks safer for foot traffic.

“I think it’s highly needed,” he said. “Pedestrian safety is very, very important.”

The department would also repair and upgrade a sidewalk next to University Square and add lighting to the section of West Franklin Street between Roberson Street and Merritt Mill Road.

The council can choose not to opt in for each project. Implementing all three proposals would deplete the Downtown Streetscape Master Plan’s $530,000 fund, town Streetscape Director Curtis Brooks said.

But Brooks said he thinks the project represents town objectives. “The town’s commitment to pedestrians … is clear in these improvements,” Brooks said.

Brooks said the town is trying to ensure the highest possible safety for pedestrians.

The Streetscape initiative has been in place since 1993. The council last approved a Streetscape project last September.

Brooks said that although the changes might create a more appealing downtown for pedestrians, some merchants still might feel threatened by what he calls every project’s double-edged sword: construction.

Mark Moshier of Graham Associates, which manages University Square, said he explained the benefits of the changes to his merchants, who have dealt with internal construction for the past year.

“We are excited for any kind of design or sidewalk improvements that bring traffic into University Square,” he said.

House said he doesn’t think the projects’ construction will be a problem for businesses.

“Even though we have a lot going on during the summertime, we don’t have the same crunch.”