Homecoming planners seek to link old and new

CAA has a $10,000 budget for headliner

Riling up alumni and inspiring a new generation of Tar Heels lies at the heart of plans for Homecoming events next fall.

This goal led to organizers’ likely pick for next year’s theme: “Something old, something new, something white, something blue.”

The proposed theme celebrates the University’s rich history and alumni, as well as current students, said Carolina Athletic Association President Justin Johnson.

“You want to have Homecoming bring together the alumni and the students — past, present and future,” he said.

In noting the old and new, the theme not only makes tribute to the University’s history but also refers to the Homecoming football game against Boston College — the newest member of the ACC, said CAA Vice President Rachel High.

After last year’s Homecoming, which was marked with controversy, organizers are seeking as much input and as many ideas as possible, they said.

Discussions regarding the headliner performance are already underway. Although the Homecoming Collaboration Committee is leaning toward bringing a musical act to campus, the possibility of hosting a comedian also is on the table.

Johnson said funding concerns make the comedian idea attractive. “The cool thing about a comedian that excited a lot of people is you could avoid a lot of production costs associated with a band,” he said.

For the same amount of money, CAA could secure a bigger name in comedy than in music, High said. She added that a comedian would probably appeal to a greater number of students.

But organizers said funding concerns shouldn’t be a road block, regardless of what they decide to do.

High said the group already has secured $10,000 and hopes to find more — a sharp increase from the $5,000 CAA ultimately spent to secure John Legend last fall. During planning for last year’s concert, then-CAA Treasurer Ginny Franks said $10,000 would be a reasonable budget for a Homecoming event.

Student Congress could consider allocating additional funding once it sees more concrete plans from CAA, said Speaker Luke Farley.

“I think Congress does want to see Homecoming succeed, just like anybody else,” he said. “Homecoming is such a major event to so many people.”

James Hollins, homecoming committee chairman, hopes to see additional support from the Carolina Union Activities Board and student groups. CUAB provided at least half the money for last year’s show, High said.

“We’re looking to work with (CUAB) and continue that partnership,” Hollins said. “RHA said they may give some additional funds, but we’re really looking for other organizations to step up.”

CAA is accepting ideas at 2005homecoming@email.unc.edu.