NCSU may see pirate at helm

'Pirate Captain' wins votes, angst

After seizing 44 percent of the first-round vote in N.C. State University’s election for student body president, a candidate known as The Pirate Captain could sail into office with enough support from his “scurvy crew.”

Because no candidate won a majority of last week’s vote, students will head to the polls today and Tuesday for a runoff election. The contest pits current Student Body Vice President Will Quick against The Pirate Captain — whose given name is William Piavis, according to N.C. State’s student newspaper, the Technician.

Although the first-round election was marked by a record-high voter turnout of 27 percent, some are concerned that the school’s reputation could be marred by a candidate with no student government experience — and no real name on the ballot.

But The Pirate Captain, who dresses in full pirate gear and speaks only in pirate talk, said he is qualified to become the next student body president.

“Yar, I am a pirate captain — The Pirate Captain,” he said.

After receiving the most votes in the first round, he hopes to get students more involved and prevent student government from being “just a self-absorbed entity,” he said.

Quick, who received 20.5 percent of the vote, did not return calls by press time.

Mark Clapp, a sophomore at N.C. State, said the student body is polarized about the unorthodox campaign. Many students who support The Pirate Captain have not been involved in student government in the past, he said.

“Those people don’t really understand how much student government does for them and what the implications are going to be.”

Senior John Small, who served two years in the Student Senate, said the joke will be over if The Pirate Captain captures the presidency.

“It was a great prank, but he needs to shape up if he wins.”

Among other duties, the student body president serves as a voting member of the university’s Board of Trustees and represents the school in the UNC-system’s Association of Student Governments.

The Pirate Captain said he would have no problem working with system officials to address students’ needs. “We bae tryin’ to make sure that the tuition doesn’t keep goin’ up and the public education funds don’t bae comin’ down.”

But concern was expressed Saturday during a meeting of the ASG Council of Student Body Presidents about student governments’ potential loss of credibility if The Pirate Captain is elected.

Zach Wynne, ASG president-elect for the 2005-06 academic year, said he will work with whoever wins.

“I’m going to treat (The Pirate Captain) like I would treat all the other presidents — with respect.”

But some worry that The Pirate Captain’s leadership could have ramifications for N.C. State’s standing with other state institutions.

Alex Carter, an N.C. State junior and Student Senate member, said state officials might not take the university seriously with The Pirate Captain at the helm.

“There is a lot more at stake in this election than making a stand for humor, originality and that swashbuckling spirit. The reputation of our school, for instance.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.