Officials: 4 cases are a coincidence

Campus officials are attempting to quell the fears of students and parents in the midst of a fourth investigation this year into a case of meningococcal virus on campus.

Students on campus — especially in Granville Towers, which has seen three of the four cases — have expressed concern that the incidents could be related.

But for now, officials say the cases are a coincidence.

“Over at Granville, we are told that these cases are chance events because meningitis does not live in the environment, only in the

human host,” said Bob Wirag, director of Student Health Service.

“Until public authorities establish a different link, they’re telling us it’s a chance happening.”

Meningitis, which can be a life-threatening disease, is not contracted through the environment. Rather, it moves from person to person through close contact, such as kissing, coughing or sneezing, or sharing a drink, food or cigarette.

One in 10 people carries the bacteria that causes meningococcal meningitis, but the virus matriculates in only a small percentage of those carriers.

In an effort to ease parents’ and students’ anxiety, the Carolina Parents Office sent an explanatory e-mail to the parent listserv, and Student Health has offered free vaccinations to students.

But Winston Crisp, senior associate dean of students, said it’s understandable that parents are concerned.

“We have parents and folks call in who want to be reassured that their children are in a safe environment,” he said. “Nobody is in a panic.”

Campus officials also have looked into the possibility of requiring incoming freshmen to get meningitis vaccines.

But the vaccines don’t protect against all forms of the disease, and furthermore, campuses must look to legislators in Raleigh if they want to effect policy changes.

“We have information in the student health history form about meningitis, and we recommend that students receive the vaccination,” Wirag said.

“Lobbyists out of Raleigh must deal with requiring a vaccine. That may happen as this interest escalates.”

But many students have expressed fear of infection because Student Health has not released the names of all those infected.

James Turner, chairman of the American College Health Association’s Task Force on Vaccine-Preventable Diseases, said these fears are unfounded.

“There is no evidence that being in a classroom or bus increases one’s risk,” he said.

N.C. General Statute 116-260 requires public and private institutions with on-campus residents to provide information about meningococcal disease.

Student Health officials said they encourage students to get vaccinated and to stymie behaviors that have been known to increase the risk of contracting the disease — including alcohol consumption and exposure to smoke.

Crisp said he is confident in University officials’ ability to keep students safe and informed.

“Student Health is doing a wonderful job educating students on the realities while reversing the mythology of the disease.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide