Passion propels dancers

An energetic group of women tapped their feet, swung their arms and moved their hips in elegant synchronization Wednesday evening as they rehearsed for the Carolina Style Spring Showcase, held later that night.

Extensive experience and enthusiasm drive the dazzling performances delivered by members of UNC’s many dance organizations.

Carolina Style consists of about 40 members involved in three dance companies, each focused on a unique discipline: tap, jazz or ballet. Each member, after being selected in September auditions, contributes about an hour and a half each week in rehearsals throughout the school year.

Caroline Bixiones, a senior member of the jazz company, has been dancing for about 16 years. She said “the thrill of being able to be on stage and being able to perform” is what makes her love the art.

Carolina Style catered to that love with its performance Wednesday in the Student Union Auditorium. The group also will perform April 22 at East Chapel Hill High School.

Merideth Sharp, a member of the ballet company and the separate contemporary troupe Modernextension, enjoys the link that performance creates between the dancers and their audience.

“With dance, it’s a live art,” she said. “The audience can see them execute the whole emotion, all elements.”

The live performance allows for an immediate connection that viewers don’t get with still art, she added.

Dancing since the age of 3, Sharp noted that most women in the organization have a solid dance foundation.

“We really try to have a presence in the surrounding community,” she said. “Carolina doesn’t have a dance program. Serious dancers who want to get involved can join with us to keep their levels high.”

Day Kim, a senior business major, chooses to dance with Kamikazi, a group she describes as “the first Asian hip-hop team in the Southeast.”

While their focus is hip-hop, the dancers also incorporate break dancing and a style known as “pop-n-lock” into their programs.

“We just have girls and guys coming together to make things happen,” Kim said. “We are very grateful that Kamikazi has established itself into a group that has the reputation of being a very entertaining, professional and talented group of dancers.”

When asked why members devote their time to the group, a love for dance jumped out as a primary reason.

“First of all, most dancers dance because it’s something that they are passionate about,” Kim said.

“It’s a form of having fun outside of academics … and something you can really tunnel your passion into.”

In addition, Kamikazi also brings its members together despite any ethnic differences among them.

“We have dancers of pretty much every ethnicity, and just the fact that we can all come together and have a good time and incorporate many styles of dancing just goes to show the beauty of diversity,” Kim said.

Several groups on campus cater to even more specific disciplines. Tamasha focuses on South Asian forms of dance, while others like Blank Canvas and Modernextension strive to combine varying styles into their routines.

Even students who have never attended one of the many recitals on campus might find themselves familiar with the Star Heels, the dance team responsible for half-time entertainment at football and basketball games.

Despite the sweat dancers pour into their acts every week, Kim stressed the rewards of the commitment they make.

“It’s so much fun — you establish a lot of great relationships that you carry on after you are on the dance team.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.