Schools spokeswoman to retire

Kim Hoke, spokeswoman for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, has seen the district grow from nine total schools to nine elementary schools alone.

And after 23 years with city schools, Hoke will retire at the end of this school year.

“I still have trouble using the ‘R’ word,” she said. “I’m far too young.”

In addition to serving as the district’s spokeswoman, Hoke supervises the Volunteer and Partner Program, the elementary and middle after-school programs and the parent involvement office.

She is also the receptionist in the district’s print shop and a liaison for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public School Foundation, a nonprofit organization that works with public schools and the community to improve education in the district.

“Kim knows everything about the district,” said Robin Nucilli, publications assistant and secretary for city schools. “I’ll miss her guidance. She’s just a great person.”

Hoke said her widespread involvement with the schools has been both rewarding and challenging.

“The most positive thing has been being able to celebrate the accomplishments and successes of students and staff,” she said.

“By the same token, the most difficult times have been when we’ve had student or staff problems, deaths. Those are always wrenching.”

Hoke came to the district in June 1982 from a position as the communications director for Granville County Schools.

She said she has seen a number of changes in the community since then, the most notable of which has been the growth in the school system — the student population has more than doubled during her tenure — and the separation of the town from the University.

“When I first came, the community was largely dominated by the University,” she said. “Spring Break was scheduled with the University’s. Now, the district doesn’t tend to align so much with the University.”

And she said her job scope has grown along with the district.

“I thought things operated at a fast pace when I came to the district,” she said. “Every year, I thought it couldn’t get any faster, but it did.”

Hoke said the job’s rapid pace is one of the aspects of her daily routine that she will miss the most.

“There’s never a dull moment, and there’s always 10 things waiting to be done,” she said. “The expectations will be a big difference.

“Part of that will be good, but part of that I’m going to miss.”

Hoke said she plans to do some contract work in communications after she leaves the district. She also wants to spend more time doing activities she enjoys, such as reading and gardening.

Looking back, Hoke said she is most proud of the roles she played in helping to pass voter-approved bonds for schools, starting a free after-school program and setting up the district’s public school foundation.

“I continue to be amazed at the number of accomplishments and level of achievement in this district,” Hoke said. “I’m not sure all these things ever really make it into the public awareness.”

Despite her pride in the district, she said it is time for her to move on.

“Spending 23 years in one place and one position is incredible,” she said. “When I came here, if anyone said I would still be here in 2005, I would have been astounded.”