Seniors strive for the moment

In a final effort to give seniors lasting memories of their time at UNC, officials have planned a month full of games, food and festivities.

The events, which run through Commencement on May 15, are intended to raise awareness for the General Alumni Association and to give seniors a final month of fun on campus.

“We are trying to plan as successful, as inclusive, as exciting and as fun as possible events as we can,” said David Ruskey, chief senior marshal.

“And we are trying to get as many seniors to come out as we can.”

Senior Week kicked off Monday with the Edward Kidder Graham Awards ceremony, in which outstanding students and seniors’ favorite faculty and advisers received honors.

Alumni 101 Day will be held today in the Pit to educate students about the benefits of being a GAA member and encourage them to join.

“The GAA is the number one supporter of the senior class,” said Becca Frucht, senior class vice president .

She said it’s important for students to become GAA members to remain involved with the campus.

“Our alumni association is one of the best in the country. We feel like it’s a partnership,” she said.

“We don’t want our time here at UNC to just end with graduation.”

Senior Last Blast, a barbecue function, will kick off at 2 p.m. and last until 7 p.m. Wednesday outside the Bell Tower

During the event, seniors can enjoy inflatable games, music and the ritualistic climbing of the Bell Tower.

Events for Thursday have yet to be planned, but seniors will receive a discount on advance tickets for the Clef Hangers concert Thursday night.

The Senior Dinner and Ball — where seniors will enjoy a four-course meal, three cash bars, a spacious dance floor and a disc jockey — will be held Friday at Spice Street. Similar senior events such as bar nights at He’s Not Here and Players night club are in the works.

The festivities began with two major events last week. More than 45 students and senior marshals attended the Literacy Project Celebration, a culmination of the various service projects seniors have been involved with this semester.

Senior Field Games day — which included dodgeball, relay races and food — was held Friday.

“I think these events have allowed seniors to create memories for themselves and have a lasting impact on their lives,” said Jovian Irvin, senior class president.

“These events have been a wonderful outlet for seniors to relieve stress, spend time with their friends and make some final memories of their time here at Carolina.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide