Service scholars to graduate

1st class brings prestige to program

When she graduates in May, Elizabeth Sonntag will have more to reminisce about than her tenure as co-president of the Campus Y.

She will be part of the first graduating class of Public Service Scholars.

Participants — who must complete 300 hours of community service, maintain a 2.5 grade point average and complete a service portfolio — receive recognition on their transcripts and wear a blue and white cord with their graduation robe.

Sonntag helped raise funds to renovate the Campus Y building and coordinated the Beat Hunger, Beat Duke canned food drive.

The 15 graduating members of the program were honored Thursday evening, and officials said they set high standards for other participants by exceeding the minimum requirements.

All 15 students have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, said Lynn Blanchard, director of the Carolina Center for Public Service.

“They really model the kinds of things that Carolina students are doing,” she said.

The students volunteered on campus through organizations such as student government and the Campus Y. They also helped off-campus groups such as the Inter-Faith Council.

Blanchard said the program demonstrates the impact UNC students can have on the community.

The program began in 2003 and provides a structure for community service, networking opportunities and skills-training workshops.

Graduating students have reported 6,079 service hours to date, an average of 405 per student.

More than 450 students are enrolled in the program. They represent 75 percent of UNC’s available majors as well as 90 N.C. counties and 31 states.

The entire program racked up more than 26,600 hours of public service this year.

“The commitment to making a difference is not specific to one type of student,” Blanchard said.

Like Sonntag, other students in the program have found myriad ways to become involved.

English major Jennifer Manis worked with preschoolers at Sunrise Corner Child Care Center. Mothers of the enrolled children participate in drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs.

“Working with children … helped me find something I’m passionate about,” said Manis, who plans to serve in the Peace Corps.

Scholar Jennifer Duke, a political science and sociology major, said the program helped her pinpoint her career path.

While completing an internship with a judge, she said, she saw a man confess that he attempted to kill his wife. That man avoided conviction because the prosecutor had not properly researched the case.

Duke said that after that experience, she knew she wanted to be an attorney and plans to attend UNC’s School of Law.

Carol Tresolini, associate provost for academic initiatives, said the program benefits both the campus community and involved students.

“The students here at Carolina are inclined to service anyway, and this program helps them structure the service they want to give.”