Sports Illustrated writer to make a stop at UNC

Reilly to speak Tuesday in free lecture

Gary Smith strode to the podium at the National Sportswriter of the Year banquet, but once again, it wasn’t his party.

Smith was there to introduce Rick Reilly and hand him his ninth Sportswriter of the Year Award.

He was secretly seething at the success of his Sports Illustrated counterpart, and he and his family were ready to let the world in on his pain.

Before Smith could get into his speech, his sisters emerged from the crowd, bearing a sign that read: “Rick Reilly is an award hog.” They descended upon Reilly, bound him and put a hood over his head in protest.

If that couldn’t stop Reilly, what can?

The author is back to claim his 10th award this year, and on his way to Salisbury to pick up the hardware, he is stopping off at the University for a lecture and question-and-answer session at 7 p.m. Tuesday in 111 Carroll Hall.

The award hog is most famous for his weekly “Life of Reilly” column that runs on the last page of SI, the first signed weekly editorial in the storied history of the publication.

Reilly said Smith really is the best sportswriter in America, but he still has no plans to relinquish his claim on the trophy.

“I’ve never been named to People’s 50 Most Beautiful,” Reilly said Thursday in a phone interview. “I’ve never won an MVP or a Final Four. This is my one award to win. … I just suck at everything else.”

In addition to his SI duties, Reilly is a bestselling author and most recently chipped his way onto the New York Times bestseller list with “Who’s Your Caddy?” which shares his golfing exploits with famous names from Jack Nicklaus to Donald Trump.

“I juggle and do magic, too,” Reilly quipped.

Sports Illustrated was always his love, though. A 12-year-old Reilly got his first taste of the big time by lugging camera equipment around for SI photographer Walter Ioss at a Colorado football game.

After graduating from CU, Reilly began sportswriting at the Denver Post, and the big break seemed to be on the horizon.

One day Reilly’s roommate handed him the phone. SI had finally called.

“Is this Rick Reilly?” asked the voice on the other end.

“Is this really Sports Illustrated?” Reilly responded, barely able to contain his excitement for what could come next.

“Yes,” said the caller. “And do you realize that for only 79 cents an issue you can subscribe …”

Reilly hung up the phone, but after two years at the Los Angeles Times, SI was calling again. For real, this time.

The young sportswriter quickly made his mark at SI with a distinctive voice that brought him high praise — and higher paychecks.

In 1998 Reilly was courted by upstart ESPN the Magazine, but SI reeled him back in with a raise and the promise of a back-page column — and he’s been hogging awards ever since.

One of his most notable “Life of Reilly” moments occurred when he used the column to break the story of the abuse suffered by female kicker Katie Hnida while she was a member of Colorado’s football team. The report has since led to the resignation of the athletic director and the chancellor, but not head coach Gary Barnett. “How do you explain that?” Reilly asked.

And the fallout has been harsh from CU, who has since removed him from the “famous alumni” section of the football media guide.

“I was like a Russian czar,” Reilly said. “All of a sudden I don’t exist.”

Sometimes his colleagues wish the same. At least there would be more awards to go around.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.