Teachers may earn course credits

In order to provide incentives for employees to remain in state jobs, an Orange County representative proposed a plan Monday that she hopes will reduce North Carolina’s high employee turnover.

Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange, introduced a bill that would give state teachers and employees the opportunity to earn course credit at state universities and community colleges.

The bill proposes to create an “education bank” for teachers and state employees in which they would receive course credit hours based on their length of employment by the state.

The program would benefit state faculty and employees and their immediate families.

With annual state employee turnover at about 15 percent, legislative incentives for teachers and other workers to keep their positions might be a step in the right direction, but campus officials think they could prove problematic.

Given the state’s budget concerns and limited class enrollment, Insko said, the benefits could be extended only to university employees.

“I think that people have to look very carefully any time they waive tuition,” she said.

Qualified teachers and employees would still have to apply to the state university of their choice, Insko said. If they were accepted, the education bank would work like a scholarship program, annually allotting four additional credit hours to each participant in the program.

“It’s a fairly modest proposal,” she said.

Rep. Pricey Harrison, D-Guilford, said she signed on to the bill because offering perks to state employees, who receive fewer benefits than they would in private employment, seems like a good idea.

“We’re losing good faculty and staff to higher paying opportunities, and I think this is probably an attempt to keep them in the state and system,” she said. “I think there should be good support for it.”

Sherry Melton, communications director for the State Employees Association of North Carolina, said the objective of creating an education bank became part of the association’s platform in 2002.

At that time, local SEANC District 25 — which includes Chapel Hill — expressed its desire for such a program.

Steve Hutton, District 25 employee relations chairman, said 75 percent of the state-employed work force is replaced every five years and that taxpayers incur that burden.

Enhancing employees’ benefits in order to encourage them to keep their state jobs could provide relief to taxpayers and employers who are forced to retrain employees.

“Part of the reason we’re having trouble attracting faculty and some staff is because the benefits are not up to par,” Hutton said. “It would help us be more comparable with other states.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.