UNC fashion magazine gears up for 4th release

New spring clothes and beautiful weather to model them in aren’t the only reason why campus fashion gurus are so excited this week.

This week is Fashion Week, an event designed to prepare campus for Friday’s release of the fourth edition of Kaleidoscope, the campus-based fashion magazine.

The Kaleidoscope staff attempts to “redefine fashion” and “showcase beauty and ethnical diversity on campus” by publishing one issue per semester, said Ndidi Okeagu, founder and editor-in-chief.

“This is just an entire week to get people excited about our magazine,” said junior Kimberly McAuley, Kaleidoscope’s event planner.

Kaleidoscope began publishing last spring and boasts 46 members.

Through a variety of events such as mini-makeovers and mannequin demonstrations, the group hopes to encourage everyone to pick up a copy on Friday at the release celebration.

At the celebration, members will distribute 300 issues of their magazine and the best-dressed member in the crowd will win a gift certificate to The Streets at Southpoint.

“Everyone needs to hear about it so they can get a copy on Friday,” freshmen staff member Markia Jeter said.

On Monday afternoon, a consultant from Mary Kay conducted mini-makeovers in the Pit to kick off the week of events.

“I thought that this was a great opportunity today to help women feel beautiful” said Nicole Kautchick, the Mary Kay consultant. “Just like clothes, makeup can help define you and give you energy to be who you are.”

In her bright pink coat and matching shoes, Kautchick provided makeup tips, applied lip gloss and eye-shadow and exchanged information with some students to set up formal consultations.

“People always want makeup tips, so since we’re a fashion magazine we thought it would be fun to bring a professional out here,” McAuley said.

On Tuesday, the magazine will host “GQ Day” in the Pit and provide fashion tips geared toward men.

Kaleidoscope members will show the campus “What Not To Wear” through mannequins and some specific demonstrations on Wednesday.

And on Thursday, “Mahogany,” a fashion movie, will be shown with dinner and a local designer will give a speech.

Okeagu said she hopes this week will attract new members, and therefore new styles and interest to the magazine.

“We’re a new magazine and we’re just out here to spur some interest and up our numbers,” said Claire Stackhouse, a sophomore on the event planning committee.

“The purpose of fashion week is just to get people excited about fashion,” Stackhouse said. “In the spring, everything is fun and new and exciting, just like fashion, and of course, just like our new issue.”

“I think everyone’s going to want a copy.”