Workers get Moeser's ear

By the time everyone settled into their seats at Chancellor James Moeser’s student forum Tuesday, it was clear that no one wanted to discuss Tom Wolfe’s novel “I am Charlotte Simmons.”

Instead , Moeser — who said he hoped to discuss the novel as well as proposed UNC-system budget cuts — fielded questions and complaints from frustrated Aramark Corp. workers and the students who support them.

While Student Body Vice President Adrian Johnston prefaced the meeting by describing it as a way for students to open a general dialogue with Moeser, Aramark employees used it as a chance to voice concerns about their employer.

The controversy surrounding Aramark, the private contractor hired by the University in 2001 to provide food services, reached a head earlier this semester when pro-union employee Vel Dowdy was arrested and charged with embezzlement for allegedly giving away meals.

During Tuesday’s forum, many workers shared stories of workplace negligence, unfairness and sexual harassment.

“Aramark treats these people like cattle,” said Lezlie Sumpter, a union advocate and former Aramark employee.

“They move you around like cattle. These people deserve better.”

As the meeting wore on, it became clear that UNC officials will not intervene until Associate University Counsel Joanna Carey Smith finishes her investigation of the allegations.

“We need to make sure we’re dealing with facts — not just allegations, but with truth,” Moeser said.

Moeser encouraged employees to contact Aramark directly through the corporation’s 24-hour hotline.

“You are all employees of Aramark,” he said. “You are going to have to go to Aramark.”

Although Moeser said he has told Aramark officials that administrators expect the corporation to adhere to its contract with UNC, student advocates said the University should go beyond the contractual agreement and take swift and immediate action in safeguarding the rights of Aramark employees.

Vocal students, many of them members of Student Action with Workers, want Moeser to support unionization by card-check voting. That process would allow workers personally to solicit signatures in support of collective bargaining.

But Aramark officials said they prefer a secret ballot process for unionization.

Moeser maintained that taking any stance on unionization would violate the University’s neutrality. “We are not in the position to do that.”

The results of Smith’s investigation, administrators say, will determine their plan of action.

“Our role is to help facilitate conversation among everyone,” Margaret Jablonski, vice chancellor for student affairs, said earlier Tuesday.

Dowdy, who is on paid leave pending trial, was present at the forum and said the meeting was successful and went better than she had expected.

“It’s a big step for us,” she said. “My next step is to get my job back. We’re going to keep on making steps till this gets done.”