Latino community center faces cuts

Budget woes endanger programming

Carrboro Alderman John Herrera described El Centro Latino as a central place, a clearing house and a bridge that fills the culture gap between Orange County’s Latino population and local agencies.

But due to funding troubles, the center might be forced to cut back on the services it provides to the area’s growing Latino community.

The center must raise $30,000 by the end of the fiscal year in order to maintain its current level of programming.

The group came before the Chapel Hill Town Council on Monday to ask for half that amount, which, coupled with a match from other sources, would give it the funding it needs.

El Centro Latino opened its doors in July 2000 and since has provided a variety of services such as childcare, computer courses, English as a Second Language classes and interpretation services.

“Our mission is to provide direct social and education services,” said Amber Hall, the organization’s programming director and programming coordinator.

Herrera said El Centro provides members of the Latino community with the tools they need to interact in a new culture.

“I think El Centro Latino and organizations like this are vital to help people integrate.”

Remembering the difficulties he encountered when he came to the U.S. in 1983, Herrera noted the importance of having a strong source of aid to ease the transition.

“It’s just having a support system,” he said.

But due to several funding sources that did not come through, the organization might have to cut back on some of its current programs unless it can raise the money to support them before the end of June.

Executive Director Tina Siragusa said the first programs to be cut likely would be the services that currently do not have a direct funding source. That list includes interpretation services and possibly child care programs.

“It helps practically every agency and every service in town,” she said. “It’s a good stepping stone for other agencies.”

Siragusa said despite the funding difficulties, the organization probably would not need to relocate from its current facility at 101 Lloyd Street in Carrboro.

“We’re not really thinking we’re going to have to move because we have a very supportive landlord,” she said, adding that the center would do everything in its power to remain open.

Noting that North Carolina has the fastest growing Latino population, Herrera said it’s important for communities to have a center directed at that demographic.

According to El Centro Latino’s Web site, Orange County’s Latino population is roughly 4.5 percent of the total population, and the organization serves about 120 clients monthly.

Siragusa said staff from the organization will meet with officials in the local municipal governments today to discuss possible remedies.

Siragusa said El Centro Latino receives most of its funding from Orange County, followed by Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

It also receives federal grants and donations from corporations, she added.

More information about El Centro Latino can be found at http://www.elcentrolatino.org/