Mo' words of wisdom

Comedian treats UNC to first ever Senior Address

It’s time you guys made peace with the kids in Durham, Mo Rocca advised seniors in the first Senior Class Address on Friday.

“Don’t be hating on Durham,” he said, standing on the steps of the South Building, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Senior Class President Jovian Irvin and Vice President Becca Frucht introduced the comedian and “fake journalist” to an audience composed mostly of graduating seniors and their skeptical parents.

“This grew out of our desire as senior officers to add something new to the graduation experience,” Frucht said of the collaborative effort between senior class officers, the executive branch of the student government and the student advisory committee to host Rocca. The appearance, which cost around $19,500, was paid for through a combination of student fees and funding from the Office of the Provost, the Division of Student Affairs and the Campus Y. Delivering a speech that alluded to everything from the Carolina/Duke rivalry to blue cups at He’s Not Here, Rocca was a crowd pleaser.

He had already established what many students would like to think is a special relationship with the University though a popular segment on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” in which UNC-CH was depicted as an Al Qaeda training ground. Thus, for some, Rocca likely needed do little more than stand on stage and sing the Carolina fight song. Eventually, he did — to a huge round of laughter and applause.

“If God isn’t a Tar Heel, then why do I look so hot in these pants?” said the comedian after Irvin and Frucht helped him out of his trainers to reveal Carolina blue slacks.

The comedian successfully balanced a knack for irreverent comedy with a sincere attempt to impart to his audience the wisdom that only a fake reporter can offer. “I’m not here to help you find a job,” he said. “Beause they’re all going away.”

Instead, the self-proclaimed “PowerPoint fetishist” meandered his way through a presentation of photographs of famous North Carolina natives, encouraging seniors to be the best “blank” they can be.

When a picture of a The Dukes of Hazard character appeared onscreen, Rocca said, “Be the best Cooter you can be.” When Michael Jordan’s mug appeared, he said, “Be the very best restaurant owner you can be.” The audience, apparently familiar with Jordan’s failed attempt at a Chapel Hill eatery, responded with another round of belly laughs.

Rocca, whose careers have varied from roller-skating waiter to talking head on VH1’s “Best Week Ever,” encouraged his audience to be flexible in their career decisions.

“Plans are great,” he said. “But allow yourself to be open to changing your opinions.”

You never know, he said. A Tar Heel lady might fall in love with and marry a Duke man.

He paused.

“And birth the spawn of Satan!”

With a cohesive blend of Carolina-centric humor and themes that were relevant to an audience of newly anointed graduates, Rocca’s inaugural attempt at the Senior Class Address seemed to be a hit with students.

“I think he found a theme that was appropriate to the occasion and entertaining at the same time,” said Patrick Murphy, a graduating political science major.

“He set an excellent precedent for future Senior Addresses.”

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.