Fourteen graduate students earn dissertation fellowships

Some of the University’s top graduate students will get financial help during their last year of doctoral study.

Dissertation fellowships were given out to 14 graduate students for the 2005-06 school year.

Nominations for the fellowship comes from all University graduate programs. A selection committee chooses the finalists.

The newest fellowship to be named comes from the John Motley Morehead Foundation — an organization that tries to provide academic opportunities to University students.

Lab findings could garner world record for scientists

A recent discovery by University chemists might break a world record.

The scientists, led by Professor Joseph DeSimone, believe they have found a way to deliver pharmaceuticals and other materials through the world’s smallest manufactured particles.

The process is known as Particle Replication in Nonwetting Templates..

The breakthrough allows scientists to design uniform particles in any shape and composition.

Liquidia Technologies Inc., a company formed by DeSimone and others, was created to help develop the process.

Pizzolatto to have English residency as visiting writer

Poet and fiction writer Nic Pizzolatto will be the 2005-2006 Kenan Visiting Writer this fall.

During his stay with the English Department, he will teach classes and give a public reading.

He currently is writing a novel, and his collection of stories, “Haunted Earth,” will be published in 2006.

“We chose Nic Pizzolatto from a large national pool of very talented writers — an exceptional competition,” Bland Simpson, associate professor of English, said in a press release.