Struggling to stay afloat

El Centro Latino could face cuts in programming

When Latino immigrants move to the area and do not speak English, they can feel isolated in an unfamiliar culture. El Centro Latino, located on 101 Lloyd St. in Carrboro, provides security for these disconnected citizens.

El Centro helped a Latina woman who did not know where to turn when her husband left her and her children abandoned in a church parking lot.

El Centro helped a Latina woman figure out how to get back across the border on a trip to Mexico with her child because her child was documented and she was not.

El Centro helped many Latinos search for jobs in the community.

That was just on Tuesday.

The need for El Centro extends beyond the language barrier, said Dora Diaz, a Peruvian native, who works at the front desk.

“Many of them want a friendship and a chance to tell their story,” Diaz said. “They need to feel close to their culture.

“When I say ‘Buenos dias,’ their eyes light up because I know Spanish — it’s like a piece of home.”

This place of solace and education for the local Latino community might suffer cutbacks if it does not receive $30,000 to get through the fiscal year.

But things are looking up.

An anonymous donor from the Triangle Community Foundation already gave $10,000, said executive director Tina Siragusa.

Community and local government leaders will meet Friday for an action meeting to establish funding sources for El Centro.

“The town governments are part of the planning because they see the wider scope of the service,” Siragusa said. “We need to figure out how we can think outside of the box to continue our program.”

El Centro offers a variety of programs to local Spanish speakers such as classes for driver’s license education, English as a Second Language, computers and financial literacy. Among the first programs to be cut if funding is not found would be ESL and computer courses.

Siragusa said rent is part of the financial problem, and center officials are considering a move. She said they would do everything possible to stay in Carrboro and, despite financial strains, are looking into making some kind of expansion.

“Most of our clients walk to us,” said Siragusa. “Even though our funding is going down, our door is opening more and more.”

El Centro is planning some fund-raising events in July, and for the time being, space is going to dictate what services they can offer.

“People have come from all directions and all walks of life because everyone realizes how absolutely vital a center is to the community,” Siragusa said. “We are a bridge and a clearinghouse to other agencies and other corners of the community, and I believe that the center will be raised up by the community.”

For more information on El Centro Latino, call 932-4652.