Attorneys request evaluation results

Pretrial motions to be filed by Sept. 21

A motion to request the results of a psychological evaluation of Adam Sapikowski’s father was approved by a Superior Court judge Tuesday.

Public Defender James Williams, the attorney for the teen being charged with the murder of his parents, is requesting the exam, which was a part of the records for James Sapikowski’s divorce.

A Colorado court has the records for the divorce that occurred before the teen’s birth.

Superior Court Judge Wade Barber told Williams to prepare a request that would ask the presiding judge or clerk of court to provide a certified copy of the records, after explaining the facts of the case.

For 17-year-old Adam Sapikowski, who was recently indicted by a grand jury on two counts of first-degree murder, Tuesday marked his first appearance in Superior Court.

Adam Sapikowski confessed May 14 to killing his parents, James Sapikowski, 52, and Alison Sapikowski, 49, at their Chapel Hill home.

District Attorney Jim Woodall requested that the teen’s next court date be set for Sept. 21.

Motions can be filed by either side prior to that date, if need be.

Barber told both sides the court expects discovery to be completed at that time and said any pretrial motions need to be filed by Sept. 10.

That date was suggested in order to give both sides enough time to prepare.

“Mr. Williams and I have not really discussed the schedule in any detail,” Woodall told Barber.

“I do think there’s a lot to be done before we know what a schedule will be in this case.”

He also took the opportunity to ask Adam Sapikowski if he had any questions and if his attorney had explained his charges to him.

Adam Sapikowski last appeared in district court June 6.

At that time, bond was denied him. It was not readdressed at Tuesday’s hearing.

Williams requested in June that bond be set at $150,000 for each charge — for a total of $300,000 — arguing that relevant circumstances do not support a first-degree murder charge.

He indicated then that physical and emotional abuse might have provoked the killings.

But citing several concerns, including the absence of a legal caretaker and that the youth could be a flight risk, the request was denied.

Woodall said at that court date that he believed the murders occurred April 28 — about two weeks before the bodies were found. Other details about the case emerged at that point as well.

It also was revealed that a SUV was found in the Sapikowskis’ garage filled with food, camping gear and the shotgun used in the shootings.

Woodall also noted then that Adam Sapikowski had access to $19,000 in a checking account and had asked a friend to leave town with him.

During the two weeks before the bodies were found, Adam Sapikowski checked in and out of a Durham Marriott hotel.

He also is said to have attended his school’s prom April 30.

Investigations began after an out-of-town relative contacted local law enforcement after not being able to get in touch with the family for more than a week.

The bodies were found wrapped in blankets inside the house. Shotgun shells were found on the floor nearby.

Further details about the investigation were revealed later in a warrant dated May 26.

Adam Sapikowski’s sister told investigators about a “secret hiding place” in his room.

Adam Sapikowski’s girlfriend said he gave her a key, but she did not know what the key unlocked.

The warrant also revealed that Adam Sapikowski was a member of a gun club and was knowledgeable about guns.