Ackland in midst of summer vaction, will return in August

The Ackland Art Museum closed its doors Monday for summer maintenance.

The facility will reopen on Aug. 24 and will feature a new exhibit, “Three Sides to a Sheet of Paper: How Prints Represent, Communicate, and Transform (1482-2002).”

Museum patrons also will enjoy improved signage and a monthly gallery guide. Officials are adding ceramics that will draw connections between N.C. potters and the rest of the art world.

Students receive praise for library catered to homeless

Four UNC students received national praise for creating a lending library for the homeless.

The Special Libraries Association awarded the group first place in Outstanding Leadership by a Student Group and third place in Innovative Programming by a Student Group.

May School of Library and Information Science graduates, Cindy McCracken, of Cary, Meg McGinn, of Arlington, Va., and Shauna Griffin of Carrboro and Kristen Boekelheide, a graduate student in the school from Carrboro took home the prize.

The library is housed at Homestart, an emergency and longer-term housing facility for to homeless women and children, located on Homestead Road.

University ranks No. 15 nationally in NIH funding

UNC received a 7 percent increase in National Institutes of Health research dollars in the 2004 fiscal year.

The total placed the University 15th on a national list of NIH funding recipients.

Faculty members garnered $289.7 million from the federal agency, a jump from the $271 million funneled to UNC in 2003.

UNC’s five health affairs schools: medicine, nursing, public health, pharmacy and dentistry all placed in the top 20 of NIH funding for private and public universities.