Resident files for office, will run in aldermen race

Carrboro resident David Marshall filed for the Board of Aldermen race Tuesday.

“I’m coming to the end of my academic career, and I’m looking for opportunities to serve the community,” he said.

Marshall, the first nonincumbent candidate to file in the alderman race, is a law student at the University.

As of Tuesday, Aldermen Jackie Gist and John Herrera were the only others to file, but resident Catherine DeVine, a founding organizer of the Carrboro Music Festival, has announced that she also plans to enter the race.

Incumbent aldermen Alex Zaffron and Mark Chilton will be vying for the mayor’s seat.

Employee at Jack Sprat Cafe arrested for suicidal threats

A man was arrested at Jack Sprat Cafe late Tuesday morning for disorderly conduct according to Chapel Hill police reports.

According to reports, the man was suicidal and held a knife to his throat in the cafe at 161 E. Franklin St.

The man was confined at UNC Hospitals and has given a written promise to appear August 8 in district criminal court.

Sapikowski slated to appear in court on Tuesday

Adam Sapikowski, the teen charged in his parents’ murder, is slated to appear Tuesday in Superior Court.

Sapikowski was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in late June for the murders which District Attorney Jim Woodall believed occurred around April 28.

Sapikowski stands accused of killing his parents, James Sapikowski, 52, and Alison Sapikowski, 49, at their Chapel Hill home.

At Adam Sapikowski’s last court appearance June 6, bond was denied for the teen.

His attorney, public defender James Williams, requested that bond be set at $150,000 for each charge for a total of $300,000.

Woodall said in June that Adam Sapikowski’s bond could be revisited at Tuesday’s hearing.