Construction projects wind down

Summer improvements almost complete

The return of students to campus in the fall will coincide with the removal of several bulldozers, detours and orange gates.

Officials said they expect to complete on time all work they planned for the summer.

“It looks like we will be able to finish up what we wanted to,” said Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for planning and construction.

Summer-school students have had the chance to see construction in full swing.

Construction crews have spent the past few months putting the finishing touches on Memorial Hall, replacing the old steam line at Polk Place, renovating Cobb Residence Hall and upgrading Cameron Avenue.

Projects started at the beginning of the summer in hopes they would be finished before students, faculty and staff return to the University.

“Cobb and Cameron Avenue, those are going to be tight,” he said, “But right now we have assurances, and we believe that everything will be done.”

Jeff Kidd, construction manager for Polk Place, said the tight deadline has been the most challenging aspect of the project.

Kidd also said Polk Place construction will be complete before students return.

However, some students still remain skeptical.

“I doubt they will be finished,” said Drew Monroe, a graduate student studying economics. “They never finish on time.”

Others are more optimistic.

Abigail Coward, a senior international studies major, said she doesn’t have a problem with this summer’s construction and renovations.

“I’m always for improvement on the campus,” she said.

Coward said she’s happy to hear that projects like Polk Place will be completed soon but does not mind the detours.

“It’s changed my route that I take,” she said.

“But construction is always going to need to be done, so I don’t mind.”