Registrar search nears end

Decision could be reached by Aug. 1

After months of searching, the University is closing in on the selection of the next registrar.

The University Registrar Search Ccommittee will meet this week to finalize a list of recommendations to Provost Robert Shelton, who is charged with making an appointment to be approved by the UNC Board of Trustees.

Committee members predict that the decision could be made by the end of July.

The position will be officially vacated on Aug. 1 when David Lanier, who served as registrar for 24 years, steps down.

Alice Poehls of the University of Illinois —Urbana-Champaign, Gene Schuster formerly of the Ohio State University, Martin Warner of Swarthmore College and Polly Griffin of Dartmouth College are all vying for the position.

But the decision might not be made public immediately, as the details of the highering must first be finalized, said search committee chairwoman Carol Tresolini, who serves as associate provost for academic initiatives.

During the past several weeks, the University hosted the candidates in a series of forums in which they were able to introduce themselves to the University community.

The candidates were subsequently evaluated by those attending the forums. The input garnered will play a crucial role in the decision making process, Tresolini said.

The committee will include a summation of positive and negative attributes for each candidate in its recommendation to Shelton.

“I think we’re looking for people who can provide leadership within the registrar’s office and keep that office running and keep the University running,” Tresolini said.

The transition of a new registrar also coincides with a period of massive change at the University, both campuswide and in the Office of the University Registrar.

The next person to step into the role will face technological transitions in the office.

“Registrar offices are so reliant on technology, but we just want to be sure that the person is sure of technology and can take us to the next step,” Tresolini said.

The registrar also will be at the helm as the University initiates its revisions to the curriculum —scheduled to be implemented in 2007.

In the process of evaluating the candidates, the committee has been forced to analyze the four’s wide-varying experiences as registrars.

Some candidates hail from massive higher education factories — such as University of Illinois—Urbana-Champaign — others work at smaller, liberal arts colleges — such as the tiny Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania.

But Tresolini said that the candidates without the experience at large university like UNC are being considered equally by the committee.

“There are certain national standards that registrars from across the country adhere to,” she said.

“Clearly it’s important that they be able to work well at an institution like Carolina, but it’s also equally important that they know the business of registraring.”

Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty, noted that both backgrounds provide the candidates with an edge.

“I think also smaller schools have a culture of connection to the students that can be a good model for … relations to the people you’re serving,” Wegner said.

“On the other hand, this is a very complicated place. They have to be the hub for all manners of things.”