Transportation officials discuss Wal-Mart's effects

Analyze potential impact to 15-501

Though the possibility of a Wal-Mart on U.S. 15-501 has sparked concerns among some local officials, others maintain that the plans still are far from being finalized.

“We do not have an application yet, and I think a lot of this is totally premature until we do get an application,” said Bunkey Morgan, chairman of the Chatham County Board of Commissioners.

Concerns about the retail center focus primarily on the influx of traffic to 15-501.

In addition to the shopping center, construction of a mixed-use facility, Briar Chapel, off the same highway is also planned.

The two developments could greatly increase the number of daily trips on the highway.

“I think that’s probably why the Lee-Moore (Oil) Company is meeting with the (N.C.) Department of Transportation now,” Morgan said.

He said that the commissioners share these same concerns, but that the transportation department ultimately will be responsible for dealing with traffic issues on the road, as it is out of the commissioners’ jurisdiction.

Damon Webb, an assistant district engineer at the transportation department, said officials in the department will be studying and mending those problems.

He said area engineers will study 15-501 to see the road improvements that can be made to ensure that they maintain the same level of service that the road currently provides.

Currently, officials at the oil company are speaking with the transportation department to work on the logistics of the project.

“Basically, it’s a large retail center that we’re looking at,” Webb said, noting that a Wal-Mart was not definite.

Webb said the company has to apply to the department for approval of a driveway connection and, in that application, must include suggested traffic improvements.

The department also will conduct a traffic study on the road to see the existing situation and the projected future results of the center, Webb said.

But while these officials showed little concern about the project, leaders in Carrboro and Chapel Hill already have begun to speak out.

Members on both the Chapel Hill Town Council and the Carrboro Board of Aldermen have presented motions that would ask Chatham County staff to review the impact of a Wal-Mart in depth before approving any plans.