Budget, finance fill summer for Congress

Work continues without classes

When Student Congress wrapped up its work at the end of the school year, representatives went into the break with the promise of political activity.

And for the most part, Congress was able to remain active in Raleigh during the summer months, though leaders say progress on campus was limited by the absence of students.

Congress leaders said in April they intended to make several trips to the N.C. General Assembly to lobby against a proposed 4 percent cut to the University’s budget.

Speaker Luke Farley said members spoke to at least 20 N.C. senators and representatives in April and May, including Sen. Ellie Kinnaird and Rep. Verla Insko, both Democrats from Orange County.

“I’d like to think we were some of the first people to come out against any of these provisions,” Farley said. “This is the kind of thing where it’s hard to measure exactly the impact we had.”

The budget cut, which ultimately was not approved, would have had significant negative repercussions on the University’s growth.

Kinnaird said discussions with Congress members also touched on the proposal that would have given tuition autonomy to both UNC and N.C. State University.

“One of the reasons we haven’t had the tuition increases as much as we would have is because the students have been down about that issue,” she said. “The way the system works, (students) can be very effective.”

But apart from the lobbying efforts, Farley said, Congress members found it difficult to conduct its regular business this summer.

Congress convened three times this summer, though the Student Code only requires two meetings.

Action also was limited during that time because Congress acts as its own entity with its own rules during the summer, Farley said.

“Anything that Congress does is only binding during the summer,” he said. “They’re limited in what they can do, or at least the life of what they can do.”

Anisa Mohanty, chairwoman of the finance committee, said representatives met twice to hear funding requests from student groups. Congress can only distribute $2,500 in the summer.

Carolina Week received $2,221.48 for traveling expenses. Tamasha and the Carolina Premedical Association, received $1,100 and $150, respectively for Fall Fest materials.

Congress will return to work Tuesday for the year’s first committee meetings. Members also will participate in a retreat this weekend.

“I can’t say what everyone is going to want to do,” Farley said. “I think a better picture will emerge once we have the entire Congress meet.”