Police substation to open today on Market Street

The Chapel Hill Police Department will hold an opening ceremony for its new substation in Southern Village at 11:30 a.m. today.

Several groups in the community contributed to the new location, which is in the Lumina Theatre at 620 Market St. Mayor Kevin Foy will preside over the ceremony.

The substation will be the fourth police department office in the area, in addition to the Headquarters Building on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Hayes joins district staff as new athletic director

In addition to a number of new administrators in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, a new athletic director has joined the district’s staff this year,

Ronnie Hayes will be leading athletics for Chapel Hill High School.

Hayes is replacing Hal Wertich, who left in June after six years with the school system.

Hayes said he looks forward to continuing with the high schools’ good reputation in athletics.

County commissioners vote to request sales tax hike

Hoping for inclusion in a state bill affecting education, the Orange County Board of Commissioners voted Monday to contact the county’s state representatives.

House Bill 947, if passed, would allow the included counties to hold a local referendum on adding one half of a cent to the sales tax.

The revenue would go toward capital expenses for community colleges and public schools.

The bill already has passed a second reading in the N.C. House without Orange County on the list. Thirty-two other N.C. counties were included.

Commissioners hope that, with the help of Orange County’s representatives, the county will be added to the list as it progresses further.