New class boasts highest-ever marks

Reporting an average SAT score of 1299 — up 12 points from last year — the most academically qualified freshman class in UNC history began its college career Tuesday.

This year’s freshman class scored more than 100 points higher than the national average in both the verbal and math sections, according to preliminary data reported by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the National College Board on Tuesday.

Freshmen boasted average scores of 643 in verbal and 656 in math — compared to the national average of 508 and 518, respectively.

“The group as a whole has gotten appreciably better,” said Steve Farmer, director of undergraduate admissions. “It’s one thing for one person to score 30 points higher on the SAT. It’s another thing for a group of 3,700 to score higher.”

But Provost Robert Shelton said the SAT is just one of many aspects reviewed during the application process.

“As the SAT continues to rise, all the parameters are as well,” he said. “It’s a surrogate for overall performance.”

The number of top students enrolling at the University also is on the rise. About 40 percent of students were ranked in the top ten of their graduating class, up from 38.9 percent in 2004.

Farmer said University enrollment data is still preliminary and won’t be finalized until the 10th day of the semester, but he said he doesn’t anticipate any drastic changes.

During a time where the University is fighting to attract and retain top faculty, its caliber of students is important.

“One of the reasons people choose jobs at Carolina is the stimulation that students bring,” Shelton said. “Every year you have people with new ideas.”

Officials partially attribute the success of enrolling top students to the University’s ability to provide scholarships and student aid to deserving students.

The Carolina Covenant, now in its second year, allows the University to admit top students by providing funds necessary to attend college.

“Having the Covenant has helped us attract really top students from low-income groups,” Shelton said. “It’s telling people that they can come to Carolina and we can take care of them to the best of our ability.”

An increase of available merit scholarships might have played a significant role.

This year, 59 new Class of 2009 Distinguished Scholarships were given — made possible through trademark revenue.

“Every time an item is sold with the revenue we get a little bit of the revenue from that,” said Dan Thornton, senior assistant director for scholarships. “Now that there is a student fee that goes to the athletics, scholarships and student aid gets a little bit more of that money.”

Farmer said the quality of students enrolling in the University is related to the enthusiasm of students who are already attending.

“The campus as a whole is a pretty healthy, welcoming place,” he said. “Part of our success over the last five years has to do with the University-wide effort to recruit new students and make them feel included.”

During New Student Convocation on Sunday night, Moeser applauded the efforts of first-year students.

“You were selected because you welcome challenges and because you have met these challenges,” he said.

“Welcome to one of the greatest universities on the planet.”