New ROTC soldiers launched into first year

Day at Butner opens new year

With eyes fixed to the sky, UNC Army ROTC cadets exchanged nervous smiles as the dull roar of a Blackhawk helicopter signaled the start of the year's first military training exercise.

Strapped securely into the sleek black helicopter, the cadets began a 10 minute flight to Camp Butner where they faced their first two challenges - a team building obstacle course and a 20-foot-tall wooden tower from which they jumped using a rope.

"This was a good opportunity for them to get some experience with army equipment and to get a chance to do something different from most students," said Lt. Col. Elizabeth Agather.

Twenty-four cadets, accompanied by about 10 student supervisors, flew from the Horace Williams Airport to Butner for what was their introduction to the ROTC program. For the returning cadets - some who have already experienced active duty - it was just another routine training event.

Freshman Elizabeth Knight said that while she was a bit nervous about jumping from the tower, she enjoyed the experience.

"It was amazing," she said. "I used to be afraid of heights."

The 19-event obstacle course provided the cadets with challenges like climbing walls, balancing on wooden beams, navigating rope courses and wriggling under barbed wire.

Three squads competed for the fastest time, with the second squad completing the mission first in 16 minutes and 47 seconds.

Freshman Ashley Smith, who competed with the second squad, said weaving her way through the wooded course was grueling. "It was one of the hardest things I've ever done," she said.

Smith and her new colleagues will face many such challenges during their time at UNC, such as a "Ranger Challenge" in October when university cadets will face off against other regional schools.

ROTC students begin most days around 6 a.m. with physical training exercises.

UNC students who receive full ROTC scholarships must commit to four years of active duty and four years in the reserves corp. Non-scholarship students spend three years in active duty and five years in the reserves.

Junior Ryan Boyce, who plans to attend law school, said enlisting will give him resources that most of his classmates will not have.

"(It's) better than getting an entry-level job making $40,000 or $50,000 a year," he said. "There are a lot of opportunities in the Army."

For the most part, he said, his participation in ROTC doesn't distance himself from other UNC students.

"The majority don?t care," he said. "You get some positive comments and some negative."

And despite an ongoing conflict overseas, Lt. Col. Steve Morris said the University has seen a rise in enrollment in Army ROTC.

"There seems to be a downward national trend in enrollment," Morris said. "But the opposite thing has happened at UNC. Our enrollment has gone up 10 to 15 percent in the last year."

The program generally holds between 80 and 120 students.

Agather said the University recruits students during freshman and sophomore year - targeting those who demonstrate interest in the outdoors or majors like history and peace, war and defense.

"Some students come to us," she said. "We also have a national campaign that targets students who do well academically."

Lt. Col. Agather said the makeup of the cadets has shifted slightly with the increase in enrollment.

"Our statistics would tell you there isn't a big difference," she said. "The type of individual might be a little different though.

"We have less females than when I got here in 2002 and more prior service cadets."

Lt. Col. Morris said that although he has not observed any noticeable changes in the students' attitudes since the outbreak of war, anxious parents are another story.

"I field more questions and concerns now," he said.

Sophomore cadet Chris Arndt said the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 played a big part in his decision to join the army.

"I wouldn?t have ever considered it as a guy in high school without (Sept. 11) happening," he said.

Arndt said most students are surprised to learn he served 16 months in Iraq.

"I try to tell them there are a lot of problems, but it's not as bad as most Americans think it is."

Boyce said the conflict in Iraq is always in the back of his mind, but he did not hesitate when making his commitment to the Army.

"If I'm capable and willing then there isn't any reason why I shouldn't do it," he said. "The sacrifice of the willing prevents the slaughter of the innocent."