Pit plants give green growth

Amid the most massive period of University construction in recent history, officials are struggling to maintain the tradition, beauty and greenery that once thrived on campus.

The University’s Master Plan, approved in 2001, details the construction of new buildings while addressing the need to keep open, natural spaces on campus.

“We made a promise to incorporate 10 acres of open space,” said Jill Coleman, landscape architect for facilities planning. “To date, it is not 10, but in the end it will be.”

Officials have started to reassess and update the Master Plan, making small modifications to ensure they are on the right path to completing the 10-acre goal, she said.

Many upcoming projects on campus are pushing the amount of open space closer to the proposed goal.

Four stone structures outside the Student Union and Lenoir Dining Hall will each hold a tree to provide shade and add color to the Pit.

Grounds Director Kirk Pelland said he had hoped to plant the trees by the time students returned from summer, but the intense heat caused delays.

The trees will be planted by mid-September, he said.

“This will give a lot more to look at,” Pelland said.

Coleman said she also is looking forward to the new trees. “They will add a little bit of color and interest to a place that is a very active area.”

The planters will not hinder the walkway for campus pedestrians, and tables and chairs will still be located around the Pit, Coleman said.

“I hope (students) like additional seating and the beautiful trees to look at.”

The landscape surrounding the new student family housing near Baity Hill will see a new project begin this fall.

“It is far away from central campus, but it is a large area,” Coleman said.

And construction for a memorial garden to honor UNC alumni who have served in war will begin this fall between Phillips Hall and Memorial Hall along Cameron Avenue.

Construction began recently on another memorial garden on campus. Located at the corner of South and Country Club roads, the garden will allow for the distribution of cremated ashes.

Each project is funded differently, Coleman said. Some are based on private donations, but others are allocated by the University and specific departments.

Coleman noted other completed projects, such as the Ramshead Center, as examples of buildings linked with open space. The center’s parking deck boasts a rooftop lawn and trees that provide a quadlike atmosphere for South Campus students.

“That project shows our commitment to providing quality open space for the whole community,” she said.

Coleman said she hopes the plan ultimately will restore the original beauty of the campus.

“Everyone wants us to live in a beautiful place,” she said. “We want things not only to be functional but also be a beautiful place.”