Academic services move south

Facility to rise where Chase once stood

Throughout the years, the northern half of campus has been the hub of activity at the University.

From academic services to the Student Union, North Campus seems to have it all.

But the times are changing.

Construction already is under way at the future Student and Academic Services facility, which will open in spring 2007.

What used to be just one building - Chase Hall - will become two buildings that will provide a multitude of services for students and a plaza where they can gather.

In 2001 University officials began conversations with student leaders about the need for a mixed-use facility. Students said they would like to see a "one-stop shop" building where they could complete several errands - from registering for classes to paying bills.

"Students want to have these services in one place," said Christopher Payne, associate vice chancellor for student affairs. "Student feedback really was the driving force behind the Student and Academic Services Building."

The smaller building facing Manning Drive will have a computer lab with enough seating for 50 students as well as an information technology help center.

The building facing Ridge Road will house the Honor Court, the dean of students, Greek Affairs and Housing and Residential Education. Academic Services, including the Writing Center, the Learning Center and Learning Disabilities Services, also will move to the building.

Currently the Academic Services department is spread across campus, with two of the main offices in the Steele Building, the Writing Center in the lower level of Phillips Annex and Learning Disabilities Services on Franklin Street.

Fred Clark, associate dean of Academic Services, said that the move will provide them with more room and that the services will be conveniently combined into one building.

"We're going to have a lot more space than what we have now," Clark said.

The University cashier and registrar also will transfer to the building. The Office of Scholarships and Student Aid will have a small space, in addition to its main office in Pettigrew Hall.

The buildings will have a similar design to older facilities on North Campus and also will match the design of the surrounding South Campus residence halls, especially the newer ones.

The architectural designs of the buildings are reminiscent of Old East and Old West residence halls.

The construction of the Student and Academic Services facility is part of a trend of development on South Campus.

The Ramshead Center, a multi-story parking deck and dining hall facility, opened in March, and a recreation center opened on the parking deck earlier this semester.

Officials say the construction on South Campus marks the gradual southward progression of the heart of campus.

"I think that slowly the culture is going to be shifting to that end of the campus," Clark said.