An eyewitness view

Rubbing his palms against his knees, his eyes spanning the ceiling as he searched for words, Student Attorney General Matt McDowell found himself on the other side of the Honor Court on Tuesday.

During a full Honor Court hearing, McDowell, along with Student Body President Seth Dearmin and Honor Court Chairman John Deans, pleaded not guilty to charges of marijuana and cocaine possession.

"I guess I didn't think about it, but smoking isn't in the rules, and it's disrespectful," McDowell said to the investigator when he explained why he and his friends got together one night in his dorm.

But there's no need for campus upheaval.

Re-elections will not be scheduled, and the campus leaders already have returned to their normal lives, though all were found guilty of the charges.

The hearing, a mock trial part of the Honor Court's Honor and Integrity Week, was held to offer a clear look of the inner workings of a system that often is far removed from campus life.

"I think it's really helpful to see what happens, because most students don't know what goes on until they're in the middle of it," said Shelly Schaaf, the outreach coordinator for the Honor Court.

The investigator, who argues in favor of the charges, must prove the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt before the court members vote guilty - something Honor Court members hope all students understand.

Though the Court rarely sees a three-person drug case, current members said they hoped to give potential staff members a good understanding of the commitment and proceedings.

To do this, they went through evidence, questioning, deliberation, secret ballots and sanctioning procedures.

"Of all the (Honor and Integrity Week) events, this is the one that people who want to join come to," McDowell said, adding that he and his peers hoped to give the audience a realistic dramatization of what kinds of questions are asked and what kinds of responses are solicited.

About 60 people attended the mock trial in the Great Hall of the Student Union.

Currently the Court is accepting applications for students interested in being part of the staff, and anywhere from 20 to 30 applicants will be accepted, McDowell said.

Applications can be found at honor.unc.edu, and are due by 5 p.m. Friday to Union 3505.

By placing himself in a situation where campus leaders rarely find themselves, Deans said the trial served as a good chance for him to reflect on the Court's proceedings and understand what it's like for defendants.

"It's a perspective for us to keep in mind," he said. "Every student has to be treated individually."

Dearmin also said the exercise was a good experience for him. "It's nice to have a mind-set of what it's like to go through."