Area program gains funds to fight drugs

Online exclusive

An area program could have access to half a million dollars during the next five years to educate Orange and Chatham counties about substance abuse.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration awarded The Community Backyard program a $100,000 grant - renewable for up to five years - to promote substance abuse education.

"It's an opportunity for more outreach and assistance to kids and families," said Backyard board member Maria Hitt. "This grant will help build community networks."

Backyard was created three years ago as a tool for ensuring the mental health needs of children in Orange and Chatham counties are met, said Executive Director Isabel Geffner.

The organization identifies gaps in mental health-related services - and the biggest gap, Backyard officials determined, is the absence of a far-reaching substance abuse program.

Although Orange and Chatham counties might seem rich in anti-drug and substance abuse resources, Geffner said the area is seriously lacking.

"School administrators need to recognize that kids must be happy and healthy, drug and alcohol free," she said.

Geffner cited the D.A.R.E. program as an example of insufficient substance abuse education.

"Federal agencies that review curricula do not recognize D.A.R.E. as an effective program," she said.

But schools are still the preferred venues for teaching kids about the dangers of vices, Geffner said.

"Schools are a singular opportunity to inform and listen to issues about underage drinking and drug use," she said.

In 2003, 72.8 percent of Orange County children treated by the Orange-Person-Chatham Foundation for Mental Health admitted to drug abuse, indicating a strong correlation between drug abuse and mental illness.

Geffner described Backyard's work as "systemic, holistic and environmental" and emphasized the necessity of substance abuse awareness programs for adolescents.

However, increasing the implementation of anti-drug and alcohol programs is difficult because schools are under pressure to meet certain governmental academic standards, Geffner said.

The Community Backyard uses public forums at local schools to focus efforts on developing the most effective methods of educating parents and children about preventing substance abuse.

Geffner said that with the additional resources from the grant, Community Backyard can expand its efforts and build a more robust coalition in Orange and Chatham counties.

She said Backyard could strengthen media campaigns and provide more local activities with the grant.