Board examines student behavior

Online exclusive

On the heels of a report outlining teen behavior trends in the area, some city schools officials and community members say unhealthy practices must be addressed.

Results of the Youth Risk Behavior Survey came before the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Board of Education on Thursday for discussion and evaluation.

The survey compared the responses of district middle and high schoolers to their counterparts across the state on topics ranging from substance abuse to depression.

According to the results, about 47 percent of the local high school students surveyed drank alcohol in the past 30 days, compared to 39 percent in the latest statewide survey.

Sale and distribution of illegal drugs on school property was reported by about 9 percent of middle schoolers and 27 percent of high school students.

School Board Member Nicholas Didow expressed disappointment about the survey results, noting that the school district itself is responsible for part of the problem.

"This is very troubling to me," he said at the meeting. "This kind of data is what has led the board in the past to do things like bring drug dogs into the schools."

Didow told the school board that as community elders, they have to be aware of these problems. "In my judgment this is clearly a community problem."

Parent and activist Dale Pratt-Wilson - who organized a coalition of community members last year to fight substance abuse among youth - agreed with that sentiment.

"What we need to look at are the social norms that we hold, and we need to change those social norms," she said.

Citing an incident this weekend in which a 15-year-old was found unconscious in the woods after drinking copious amounts of alcohol, Pratt-Wilson said the situation has to improve.

Her group, the Committee for Alcohol- and Drug-Free Teenagers, has several subcommittees that are working to curb the problem.

Getting people talking and holding providers accountable, Pratt-Wilson said, are the best ways to confront those trends.

The survey also brought up other concerns.

According to the results, 14 percent of area high schoolers surveyed reported seriously considering suicide within the last year.

But not all of the results were negative. The survey showed that about 15 percent of high schoolers reported smoking in the last 30 days, compared to 24.8 percent for all of North Carolina.

Willis said the results were fairly representative of national data.

"We have a relatively healthy bunch of students."