Some health care workers' salaries to be increased

UNC Health Care's board of directors announced Friday that the salaries of the system's lowest-paid workers will be raised to a minimum of $10 an hour, or $20,800 a year.

The change will go into effect during the Oct. 9 payroll period.

All employees with permanent appointments, including time-limited permanent appointments, are eligible for the new minimum wage.

Employees with any type of active Final Written Warning and temporary employees are not eligible for an adjustment.

Employees in a bona fide Training Progression Program will receive adjustments according to the existing program plan but must be at $10 an hour at the completion of the program.

Four UNC faculty members receive achievement awards

Four UNC faculty members received 2005 Phillip and Ruth Hettleman Prizes for Artistic and Scholarly Achievement by Young Faculty.

The recipients - Aysenil Belger, of the College of Arts and Sciences' department of psychiatry; Chris Clemens, of the College of Arts and Sciences' department of physics and astronomy; Pat Davison, of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication; and Bob Goldstein, of the College of Arts and Sciences' department of biology - were recognized by Chancellor James Moeser on Friday.

The prize is accompanied by a $5,000 stipend and recognizes the achievements of outstanding junior tenure-track faculty or recently tenured faculty.