Campus takes baby steps

Officials start to address diversity

Almost a year after a task force met to assess the state of diversity at UNC, University officials are taking steps to create a campuswide diversity plan.

Officials charged with overseeing the changes say they are gradually taking steps to implement recommendations issued last spring by the Chancellor's Task Force on Diversity.

Recommendations included setting a clearer definition of diversity, promoting educational opportunities and recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and student body.

An ad hoc committee will meet soon to begin to refine priorities, said Archie Ervin, associate provost of the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs who served as chairman of the task force.

"For each of the priorities identified, we'll ask this committee of faculty and staff to develop goals.," Ervin said.

He said he hopes the committee will conclude its work by the end of the fall semester.

Once completed, a proposal will outline a system for monitoring and reporting the state of diversity at UNC on a yearly basis.

And student leaders say they are eagerly awaiting the much-needed reform.

"I still see certain cliques," said Emery Chen, president of the Asian Students Association.

"(There are) Asian Americans together at one table, African Americans at one table. I still don't see much unity. It's something the school needs to work on, and that I know all the student groups are working on."

Officials already have taken steps to effect a more diverse campus community.

Campus officials recently reorganized the Office of Minority Affairs into the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs A-- a move that officials say will broaden its scope of influence.

"Initially (it will) provide a more visible level of leadership on campus," Ervin said.

Ana Cerna, president of the Carolina Hispanic Association, said the new office already has approached the group about its activities this year. They will help CHispA put on a Hispanic heritage week in October, she said.

"I think it's a wonderful thing that they're helping us bring in programs," she said. "It will give us more publicity and more awareness throughout the campus."

Cookie Newsom, director of diversity education and research for the office, said she hopes the office can create a more centralized diversity education system for students, faculty and staff.

"Right now, we're providing (diversity education) more on a volunteer basis for staff and as part of orientation for new students," she said.

The focus for students will fall primarily on sharing information and promoting continued dialogue among campus groups.

Newsom noted that, although UNC is a diverse community, students from different campus groups don't always interact with each other.

"Yes, we have lots of diversity, but it tends to stick to itself," she said. "(We want students) to have as many opportunities as possible to discuss ideas and perceptions."

Cerna said students often worry about joining groups that they don't feel they relate to.

"You want to go where you feel comfortable," she said. "For someone who looks different, if you go somewhere where it's not comfortable to be, you're not going to stay."

She added that CHispA is open to all students who express an interest in Hispanic culture.

Newsom said one of the office's goals is to make diversity a part of everyday life for all students, regardless of their background.

"We're trying to make sure diversity is woven into the fabric of the University."