Chancellor's open house today

Officials hope for mixed discussion

While issues surrounding UNC's relationship with Aramark Corp. dominated the last Chancellor's Open House, leaders hope that today's forum will elicit a more varied mix of topics.

"I would definitely like to see a wider range of issues discussed at this meeting," said Adrian Johnston, student body vice president and chairman of the Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor.

The meeting, to be held in the Johnston Center lounge, will begin at 3:30 p.m. with jazz played by student musicians, and discussions with Chancellor James Moeser will run from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

The committee solicited student opinions about Moeser through its "Stick it to the Meez" campaign - which allowed students to stick Post-it notes to an oversized picture of Moeser in the Pit last week.

Johnston said students should bring up as many issues as possible for an effective use of the time.

"A little bit of dialogue can go a long way on this campus," Johnston said.

Concerns about Baity Hill and Odum Village, bus routes and diversity were repeatedly addressed through the campaign and Johnston said he expects students to question Moeser about them today.

But one proposed policy change to the way University housekeepers do their work has the potential to turn today's meeting into a one-topic debate.

Mike Hachey, a member of Student Action with Workers, said his group plans to give a presentation on team cleaning.

This is the second time the student activist organization will use the open meetings as a way to confront Moeser about campus worker issues, Hachey said.

"I think that it has been useful meeting with the chancellor because he's the person who ultimately has the decision-making power to make the changes we are interested in," he said.

"Our strategy (last semester) was to bring as many workers as possible with us and have their voices heard," Hachey said, adding that this year will be no different.

Johnston, who will serve as the moderator for the forum, said the topic of team cleaning will be welcomed.

"It's a really important issue, so we are happy about having that kind of dialogue," Johnston said.

"It's really important that all of the stakeholders get a chance to be heard during the (team cleaning) trial period."

The Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor began holding the forums last year to close the barrier between students and Moeser.

Sometimes people assume Moeser feels a specific way about an issue before they have had the chance to hear from him directly, Johnston said.

"People are on the same side of the issue a lot more than you think."