Church spreads food, fun

Online exclusive

St. Joseph's Christian Methodist Episcopal Church of 510 W. Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill called the community to "come out and help share the word of God outside of the church walls" Saturday by sponsoring its third-annual Fun Day.

Brother Howard "Buddy" Baldwin and Reverend Troy Harrison, St. Joseph's pastor, officiated over a packed lawn of locals who gathered to appreciate free food, fellowship and music at H.W. Baldwin Park on Broad Street in Carrboro.

"We enjoy this thing," Baldwin said, "and people come up to us afterwards and want to know when in the world we're gonna do this again."

The event has special meaning for Baldwin because the park is named after his late uncle, Henry Walker Baldwin.

The celebration has come to be called "FRANgelism In The Park", which stands for Friends, Relatives and Neighbors gather to evangelize.

"We are a church without walls," Harrison said, "We want to bring the church to the community."

Patrons spread out across the area of the park as they ate hot dogs and hamburgers, visited with friends and family and enjoyed gospel music played by 16 groups from around the state.

"I came out because this is a spiritual celebration," said Eloise Williams, who came to enjoy the fellowship with her husband Alvin.

"It's a community thing," she said, "and we get people from all walks of life to be a part of it."

Fliers advertising the event encouraged people to bring their friends, and 13-year-olds Jodeci Farrington, Lakia Moore, Makla Thompson, Brittany Thompson and Tiffany Wright took advantage of the opportunity. They walked around the park together and visited with other young people who came out to join in the fellowship.

"I came because I feel like I need to get closer to the Lord," said Moore, "and because Jodeci invited me."

The celebration also attracted families with small children. The large, inflatable "moonwalk" castle behind the main shelter was perpetually full, giving parents a chance to listen to the music and visit with friends.

Joy Miller and her niece,Carmen Miller had refreshments on the grass and played with Joy's 3-year-old granddaughter Jasmine Miller.

"(Fun Day) brings the community together," Joy Miller said.

"Those who thought they were forgotten find out they weren't really forgotten."