City briefs

Today's Sapikowski hearing canceled, to be rescheduled

A hearing for Adam Sapikowski, 17, has been canceled, according to a press release from the district attorney's office.

The Chapel Hill teen accused of murdering his parents was due in court today.

The hearing will be rescheduled for a later date, the release states.

No other details about the cancellation were provided.

Last week, Sapikowski was transferred from the Orange County Jail to a hospital due to concerns about his emotional well-being.

Sapikowski confessed in May to shooting his parents, James Sapikowski, 52, and Alison Sapikowski, 49, at their Chapel Hill home.

Area nonprofit group seeks mentors for at-risk youth

A local nonprofit is looking for mentors for area youth.

Volunteers for Youth - a United Way agency that aims to prevent juvenile delinquency - has 85 children who need to be matched with mentors.

Mentors are asked to spend at least two hours a week with an at-risk youth in the county. The next mentor training session is scheduled for 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 4.

The center is located in suite 103 at 205 Lloyd St. in Carrboro. For more information, call 967-4511.

Local students recognized for AP exam achievement

Twenty-three Orange High School students were recognized by the College Board as AP Scholars for exceptional achievement on the Advanced Placement Program exams.

One student qualified for the National AP Scholar Award for earning an average of four or higher on all AP exams taken.

Eight were recognized as AP Scholars with Distinction, six qualified for the AP Scholar with Honor Award and eight earned the AP Scholar Award.