College fair unites area high schools

In a span of less than three hours, students from all across the county visited colleges from all across the country - without leaving Chapel Hill.

The students, mostly juniors and seniors at high schools in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City and Orange County school districts, flooded the Smith Center's lobby Thursday night to partake in a fair of about 125 universities and colleges.

This year's fair was, for the first time, a collaborative effort by the county's two school districts, which previously hosted their own fairs.

Anne Purcell, county schools' director of student services, said she hoped the collaboration would allow for a better event.

"I think we can gain a lot from each other," she said. "We can make it a little bigger and nicer by having it together."

Jeff Reilly, city schools' exceptional children and student services coordinator, said the Smith Center was a good change from past locales of school cafeterias and gymnasiums.

"I really believe it's a venue where you're going to deeply get to know a college or institution," he said. "For juniors, it's the kickoff they need to start researching and thinking about colleges. For seniors, it's the kick in the rear they need if they haven't been applying."

In addition to traditional universities, the fair featured community colleges, a College Foundation of North Carolina booth and programs such as the Aveda Institute.

Joshua Higgin, a representative from Carleton College, said the fair serves as a way for students to learn about lesser-known institutions.

"You can look beyond what you see on Saturday football games," he said. "And by actually talking to people, you get the intangibles that aren't visible on Web sites."

Sydney Thomas, an East Chapel Hill High School senior, also said she liked being able to speak with representatives.

"They can give you a more in-depth perspective," she said. "At this point, I'm trying to square some things away and make sure I'm applying to the right schools."

But the fair wasn't just helpful for students deciding which school is best - for some, the fair factored into the decision of whether to attend college at all.

"It's a great opportunity for students who aren't sure," said Lanita Cassidy, who came to the fair with her son, East Chapel Hill junior Dominique Weaver. "When they hear about the programs and activities in college, it's encouraging."

Njeri Wainaina, a senior at Cedar Ridge High School, said the fair stacked up well against others.

"I've been to a few since I've been in high school, and this is the biggest," she said. "It's definitely the best."