Community calendar

A Study Abroad Fair will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. today in the Great Hall of the Student Union. Program representatives, study abroad advisers and returned and international students will be available for questions.

Bakari Kitwana will present and sign his latest work, "Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: Wangstas, Wiggers, Wannabes and the New Reality of Race in America," at noon today in the Pleasants Family Reading Room in Wilson Library.

University Career Services will host the Carolina Career Fair from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. today in the Smith Center. There will be 107 employers attending the event, which is open to all majors and years.

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender-Straight Alliance will hold a barbecue at 5:30 p.m. in the Connor Residence Hall quad. Students, faculty and staff who are interested in making UNC a safer space for LGBTQ students are encouraged to attend.

The Mu Zeta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity Inc. will sponsor a graduate and professional school forum at 7 p.m. today in Greenlaw 101. The panel will cover such areas as business, law, education and medicine, among others.

Overeaters Anonymous will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. today at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 300 E. Rosemary St., in the Augsburg Room. There event is free and does not have any religious affiliation. For more information, call 968-0304.

The Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History will host a "Black Popular Cultures/Black Popular Struggles Symposium" at 7 p.m. today. There will be a talk with Raquel Rivera, author of "New York Ricans From the Hip Hop Zone," and Bakari Kitwana, author of "The Hip Hop Generation."

Randy Cohen, a columnist for The New York Times Magazine will speak at 7:30 p.m. today in Carroll 111 as part of the third annual Honor and Integrity Week.

The Student Attorney General's staff now is accepting applications for staff counselors. The counselors prepare and argue cases before the Honor Court. Applications can be found at honor.unc.edu, and are due by 5 p.m. Friday in Union 3505.

The Sierra Club will host a forum for Hillsborough mayoral and commissioner candidates at 7 p.m. today at the F. Gordon Battle Courtroom. The environmental club gives campaign endorsements for local municipal elections.

To make a calendar submission,

visit www.dailytarheel.com for a list of submission policies and contacts. Events must be sent in by noon the preceding publication date.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide