County, town leaders to build foundation

Housing will be focus of meeting

In a county with some of the most expensive property in the state and a soaring average single-family home value, area workers often find it difficult to live where they work.

The Assembly of Governments, the municipal governments of Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Orange County, will convene at 7:30 p.m. tonight at Town Hall in Carrboro.

The agenda includes discussion of the state of affordable housing within the county and to examine how housing policies have met the needs of the area's more modest earners.

A family of four would be eligible for affordable housing if its household income were less than 80 percent of the county median - or below $57,050 yearly. A single person would have to make less than $39,950.

Chapel Hill housing, at an average annual cost of $342,426 last year, ranks among the most expensive in the Triangle.

"We will be talking about what we've already done over the (past) four or five years," said Tara Fikes, Orange County housing and community development director, of the meeting.

"A lot of the planning and goal-setting will take place."

Fikes said she believes future needs must be met with a smorgasbord of options.

"We've done a lot of good work so that high level of commitment will be needed in order for us to be totally successful," she said.

The Orange Community Housing and Land Trust has been a key contributor to affordable housing supply.

"As land disappears, the housing that gets built gets even more expensive," said Robert Dowling, the group's executive director.

"Our organization was founded in 1990 at the behest of local governments. ... They wanted affordable housing to remain forever."

Current Chapel Hill town code strongly recommends that builders set aside 15 percent of new developments for affordable housing. Dowling said the code has ushered in some of the town's affordable housing growth.

According to the 2005 Chapel Hill Data Book, government-funded programs have constructed 220 units of low-cost housing - 139 rental units and 81 home ownership units - between 1995 and 2004 in the town.

Many of the units are located in developments that would otherwise be out of reach for affordable housing beneficiaries, such as the 32 units in Meadowmont.

And more units are slated to be made available in both Rosemary Village on Rosemary Street and mixed-use developments planned for parking lots 2 and 5 in Chapel Hill's downtown.

But some local developers are hesitant to compliment affordable housing policies.

"A substantial percentage of the reason supply is very restricted with housing in Orange County is because of regulation(s) imposed by local government," said Nick Tennyson, vice president of Home Builders Association of Durham and Orange counties.

"We believe competition would improve the number of opportunities for work-force housing."