Forum attracts fierce debate

Environment takes center stage

Correction: Due to an editing error this article incorrectly implies that Chapel Hill Town Council candidate Will Raymond opposed the town's acquisition of the Erwin Trace. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

In Chapel Hill, it might pay to at least look like a tree-hugger.

Candidates for Town Council sang their dedication to the environment at a forum held Tuesday at Town Hall by the Orange-Chatham Sierra Club.

Incumbent mayor Kevin Foy mentioned recent council initiatives such as the Green Fleets policy to reduce vehicular energy consumption and the multiparty purchase of the Erwin Trace land just northeast of town during a ten minute speech. Foy spoke in lieu of debating challenger Kevin Wolff who did not attend.

Foy defended the town's policy on growth. "We're not growing bigger physically, but we're growing denser," he said. "That's the choice that we've made, - the environmentally sound choice."

Candidates for council seats also pitched their ideas for keeping the town green.

Incumbent Mark Kleinschmidt suggested introducing a tree protection ordinance.

Jason Baker, who said he was a "card-carrying member of Greenpeace," said increasing affordable housing would help reduce car usage by enabling lower-wage employees to live closer to their workplaces.

Robin Cutson criticized the council's "pro-growth" stance and emphasized the importance of preserving the water supply, which she said is growing scarce.

"I am willing not be a team player if that's what it's takes (to look at issues)," she said.

Will Raymond put an environmental spin on his proposal for a community-based broadband Internet service. "It attracts low-impact businesses that pay Chapel Hill living wages," he said.

Incumbent Ed Harrison said a "great deal" of his identity is as a Sierra Club member and said he advocates for bicycle facilities.

The hopefuls also opined on the impact of Carolina North, the University's proposed satellite campus on the Horace Williams Tract off of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, especially the 17,000 parking spaces UNC has proposed.

Laurin Easthom said the ratio of parking spaces to employees should be no higher than that of the main campus. Other council members proposed varying degrees of reduction.

Walker Rutherfurd took a more positive outlook on Carolina North: "It's exactly the kind of development that Chapel Hill should love, because it's the kind we can plan," he said.

Rutherfurd said he had many University connections from his recent experience in student government, which he said he hoped to use to improve town-gown relations.

Raymond said he wants to focus conservation efforts in town, not nearby as in Erwin Trace.

"I would like the money turned toward Bolin Creek and creeks you don't even know the names of yet," he said.

The Sierra Club will recommend endorsements to the state Sierra Club based on criteria including candidates' performance at the forum and the content of their Web sites. The state Sierra Club will formally announce the endorsements in about two weeks.