Groups stress unity, resolve

Kenan Stadium site of large-scale effort

Correction: The article states that "The collaboration came a day after athletics department officials announced they would organize the fundraiser themselves." The athletics department had announced from the beginning that they would work with Red Cross and other student groups.

Two weeks ago, students decided that the first home football game of the season would be the perfect opportunity to collect donations for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

And now, their plans are coming to fruition.

Student representatives of Carolina Katrina Relief and John Blanchard, senior associate director of athletics, met Wednesday to discuss how they could work together at Saturday's game against Wisconsin.

"We heard about this effort here," Blanchard said. "We just think it's a great idea."

Blanchard said the Department of Athletics is looking to recruit at least 40 student-athlete volunteers to collect donations at the entrances of Kenan Stadium beginning at 5 p.m. through the end of the first quarter.

And the athletics department is turning to other student organizations for guidance.

"I don't think we'll be able to get it done without your help," Blanchard said. "We need your active participation. We need your leadership to be involved in training."

The collaboration came a day after athletics department officials announced they would organize the fundraiser themselves.

Erica Curry, vice president of the UNC Red Cross, said she is glad to see the partnership between the groups.

"I wanted volunteers to feel like they were part of the experience," she said.

While student government and UNC Red Cross representatives aid the athletics department in collecting donations at Kenan Stadium, Carolina Katrina Relief members will be located throughout campus collecting donations in exchange for Mardi Gras beads.

At least 10,000 blue Mardi Gras beads will be handed out in 12 different locations across campus.

"As people walk to the game, we'll be getting donations," said Mark Sussman, president of N.C. Hillel. "We're asking for donations of at least $1."

Sussman and others raised $200 Tuesday and $70 Wednesday handing out the beads in the Pit, and he said he anticipates they will sell out Saturday.

"It's only gaining momentum," he said.

Other fundraising efforts on campus also continue to increase in strength.

As of 9 p.m. Wednesday, UNC One Card donations and Pit collections totaled $16,545.

But Lynn Blanchard, director of the Carolina Center For Public Service, said in an e-mail that other collection efforts across campus - including $3,000 raised by the football team and matched by Coach John Bunting and a $10,000 pledge by the School of Public Health - total nearly $31,800.

The Daily Tar Heel will be collecting new socks and underwear for hurricane victims in the Pit until the end of the month. And next Wednesday, the Campus Y Nourish International will donate $1 per plate to the Red Cross.

"As long as the people get all the money they need, that's all that matters," Curry said.