Hospital patients flown away from troubles

Boy Scouts dedicate butter

Thursday at noon, the lobby of the N.C. Children's Hospital was full of anxious patients in their Looney Tunes pajamas, waiting alongside their parents.

Children and adults alike were excitedly awaiting the dedication ceremony for the new butterfly garden at the hospital

Boy Scouts shuffled about the lobby talking in groups. They are part of Troop 39 in Chapel Hill - the troop of middle school and high school students who helped construct the garden.

When troop member Derek Baker needed an idea for his Eagle Scout project, he went to his mother, who introduced him to John Strader, a physician's assistant at the N.C. Cancer Hospital.

A cancer survivor who spent much of his time in the hospital, Strader came up with the idea of a butterfly garden, which Baker and his troop then set in motion.

Six months of planning and two days of reconstruction at last produced a calming, butterfly-friendly garden.

"This is a clever way to bring healing into the garden," said Julie Sweedler, a manager at UNC Hospitals.

A kindergarten class from St. Thomas More School waved its colored butterfly cutouts wildly when prompted to by Strader, one of the speakers at Thursday's ceremony.

Baker, who attended the school, invited the children to take part in the dedication.

Strader spoke about his experience with the hospital and cancer.

He said he thinks of butterflies as a symbol of hope for his patients and advised them to be like the butterflies.

"Letting go is not giving up," Strader said. "By letting go, like a butterfly, you let trust, love and faith come in. And those are the changes that you need to make."

The garden was created in affiliation with Planetree, a nonprofit group based in Connecticut whose goal is to humanize medical care in hospitals and provide a more healing environment.

Baker, whose mother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago, said he understands the need for that type of environment.

"I know what it's like to have a member of your family ill," he said. "They just need a place to go to get away and just smile."

Baker researched and planned the construction of the butterfly garden, and his troop removed the existing plant life in the garden and added enough plants to support the butterflies during their life cycles.

Milkweed, parsley, coreopsis and lantana along with rocks were added to make the garden more comfortable for the insects.

Sharon James, senior vice president of professional and support services for UNC Hospitals, said she believes the beauty of the butterflies will help patients to relax and heal.

"Butterflies are magical," she said.

The magic was apparent on the faces of the children as 100 butterflies were released. As the butterflies fluttered about the garden, the children ran to catch them, cupping the butterflies in their small hands as if they were treasure.

According to a Native American legend, if someone wants a special wish to come true, she must capture a butterfly and whisper desires to it, the children were told at the dedication.