House changes accepted

Two fraternities on campus found new homes this semester - just in time for the start of rush.

Pi Lambda Phi and Kappa Alpha switched houses in August after Kappa Alpha was forced to move out of its place late last semester and Pi Lambda Phi bought its former establishment.

Kappa Alpha President Chad Habeeb said the group's alumni arranged during the summer for the fraternity to move into the old Pi Lambda Phi house on 211 Henderson St., which is owned and rented out by Phi Mu sorority. He said Kappa Alpha will stay there only temporarily.

"We have plans on building a new house or finding another one soon," he said. "We are very happy with the current one, but we are also looking forward to a permanent spot in Chapel Hill."

Despite the switch in locations, both Habeeb and Pi Lambda Phi President Matthew Genett said they were pleased with rush this year.

Habeeb said his fraternity gave out 13 bids this fall - which he said is about average for the group -and 11 accepted.

"We were a little apprehensive about the change and the possibility of some confusion, but it almost seems like we haven't skipped a beat," he said.

Genett said that Pi Lambda Phi is happy with the new house but that he feels a fraternity's location shouldn't affect recruitment.

"A house doesn't rush anybody," he said. "We have a really strong brotherhood."

He said his fraternity gave out 23 bids this year - seven more than last fall.

Now both fraternities are adjusting to and beginning the pledge process in their new locations.

"We are still the same fraternity, just in a different house," Habeeb said. "The brothers have done a great job coming together."

The foreclosure on Kappa Alpha's house was brought on by a financial confusion after the fraternity's bank sold possession of the house to another bank. Months later, the 110 W. Cameron Ave. house was bought by Pi Lambda Phi.

"We lost our house," Habeeb said. "It was put on open market, and the Pi Lams bought it."