Latino youths put on forum

Though they might not yet be of voting age, a group of teenagers was able to get a roomful of municipal candidates talking about resolutions they would pass to fight federal legislation.

Pa'lante - a nonprofit organization for Hispanic youth - hosted a forum Friday for candidates in the Chapel Hill Town Council and the Carrboro Board of Aldermen races.

The teens asked the candidates questions and will be writing an article about the forum for their Spanish-language publication.

The forum began casually with introductions from each candidate present, followed by a question from Argenis Dominguez, a student at Chapel Hill High School.

He asked the candidates if they would support providing more funding for Pa'lante or if they would push for a facility for teens such as a paint ball park.

Robin Cutson, a council candidate, told Dominguez that while she would support allocating more money to programs such as Pa'lante, paint ball was probably out of the question. "We probably can't do paint ball, and you probably knew that," she said.

Most candidates agreed that though they couldn't promise paint ball, they did want to support the area's youth. "I think if we invest in our youth - particularly our Hispanic youth - it's going to come back to us," said David Marshall, an alderman candidate.

But as the questions turned from local to federal issues, the differences in the candidates became more apparent.

The candidates were asked if they would agree to pass resolutions opposing federal legislation that has made it harder for immigrants to attain driver's licenses, and a bill that would require police to ask for immigrants' documents when responding to calls.

"This was a stint of politicians at the federal level, and it's reprehensible," said council candidate Will Raymond. He said he would draft a resolution against the license legislation, if elected.

Cutson, however, argued that the job of a municipal official is to take care of the "mundane" responsibilities of the town - not to fight the policies of the federal government.

"You take care of your own home first," she said, adding that she would not write such a resolution.

But most of the other candidates disagreed with her sentiments.

Candidate and incumbent council member Mark Kleinschmidt said that if he didn't use his state-level connections, he would be neglecting the people who elected him.

Alderman Mark Chilton, a candidate for Carrboro mayor, reiterated the importance of creating change locally. "We're going to change this country from here," he said.

And incumbent aldermen candidate Jacquie Gist pointed out that towns like Chapel Hill and Carrboro can light the way for other communities to act out.

"When our two crazy left-wing towns make these stands ... what that does is it lets other municipalities not be the first."