Leaders won't travel to D.C.

Despite strong enthusiasm for national advocacy following a trip last semester to Washington, D.C., UNC-system Association of Student Governments officials said direct federal lobbying will not be a high priority this year.

In February, the association organized a three-day trip to the nation's capital for 49 delegates, meeting with lawmakers and other advocacy groups.

Though ASG officials immediately hailed the effort as a success, members of the group's new administration said they are not planning a similar trip.

"Arranging activities, flights, and hotels in Washington for 60 people is a lot for logistics, and the effect isn't proportional," said Ginny Franks, the association's vice president for legislative affairs.

"We've decided that we could probably be more frugal and still accomplish our goals by taking a smaller delegation in the spring, if needed."

The proposed budget for the 2005-2006 academic year originally set aside $8,000 for federal advocacy, but that already has been pared back to $6,000.

Franks said the earmark is there in case the organization decides to send smaller groups to Washington. Otherwise, it will be folded into the rest of the budget.

"It'll probably be redistributed toward our state legislative affairs," she said. "We have enough on our plate at the state level that we can definitely find uses for it."

Association president Zack Wynne said the preliminary decision against a large trip to Washington is due in part to uncertainty about the Congressional calendar.

"We're not sure if they're going to be dealing with any of our issues come February," he said.

The Higher Education Reauthorization Act - federal legislation that governs a wide range of student financial aid programs - is on the agenda for this Congressional session, but no date has been set for its consideration.

Franks mentioned the possibility of sending smaller groups of ASG officials to meet with legislators if the need arises, but said most contacts will be conducted through letters, e-mails and phone campaigns.

She also pointed out that the ASG is working closely with the U.S. Student Association, a professional lobbying group with a full-time staff in Washington.

ASG delegates met with USSA officials during the February trip, but decided against formally joining the organization, due in large measure to the cost involved.

USSA requires student government associations to cede 5 percent of their budget as a membership dues, which would amount to $8,500 for the ASG.

"Right now our relationship consists of speaking with their organizing director, receiving information as well as organizing packets from them, and their advocacy updates about what's going on in their legislative cycle," Franks said.

"I haven't heard any mention of any kind of financial obligation to them."

Jenn Brown, organizing director for USSA, said the organization maintains formal or informal relationships with nearly all state student organizations in order to share information and promote greater activism at the federal level.

Only formal members, however, can direct USSA's lobbying efforts.

"USSA is a completely democratic organization," Brown said. "(Members) set the agenda, they elect the national president and vice president, they assist in staff hiring and approval of the budget."

Though Brown said seeing the UNC association as a full member is "something we're hoping for," she added that USSA respects the right of individual groups to do what they think is best.

"We're very excited about working with them in either a formal or informal way," Brown said.

The relationship with USSA, as well as the role the ASG should play in federal advocacy, will be one of the items up for discussion in October at the association's first General Assembly meeting.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide