Local 506 to host benefit for Katrina

Proceeds will go to Red Cross

Locals have offered free gas, proceeds from ice cream sales and Mardi Gras beads to raise money for Hurricane Katrina victims - now they'll try to do it through song.

Local 506, in coordination with area record label Yep Roc Records, will host a benefit for Hurricane Katrina on Friday at 9 p.m. The event is one example of the many that have been organized by the music community in Chapel Hill and the surrounding area as Cat's Cradle and the ArtsCenter are organizing their own events.

The club hosted a similar benefit in January to help support tsunami victims and raised $2,000.

Proceeds from the event, for which there is an $8 cover charge, will go to the Red Cross, said Glenn Boothe, owner of Local 506.

The venue operates on a membership basis, and only members will be admitted, but Boothe said anyone can obtain a membership for $3. He added that members also can sign in guests as an alternative option to paying the fee.

The night will feature acts such as Chris Stamey, Cities, American Princes and The Wusses. Also, there is a surprise guest performance in the lineup, but the identity of that band will remain hidden until the night of the show, Boothe said.

The benefit show is an equal collaboration between Yep Roc Records and Local 506 in an effort to raise funds for those in need, Boothe said.

Every band expected to perform during the night is on the Yep Roc label, excluding The Wusses, a cover band that plays hits from '70s soft rock. This will be the group's first performance at Chapel Hill.

"I like all of the bands and I am pleased with the selection," Boothe said. "I'm especially excited about Chris Stamey. I'm a personal fan. I grew up listening to him."

Hank Stockard, who does promotion for Yep Roc, said the event would showcase the label's newest artists, Cities and American Princes.

Robbie Mackey, a member of Cities, said he is looking forward to performing in tomorrow's show.

"It's a good chance to do something for the community," said Mackey, a former staff writer for The Daily Tar Heel. "Personally, I think that it's something that everyone should be involved with."

Mackey said he thinks that the benefit is a very positive event and that the proceeds will be donated to a sincere cause. "You should do everything that you can do," he said.

"It's good that something we have done is going to help out people who genuinely need help."

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.