Local businesses gather for expo

Local business owners gave out samples, pitched their wares and got to know one another Monday at the fourth annual Orange County Business Expo launched at the Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel.

A collaboration of the Orange County Economic Development Commission and the Chapel Hill-Carrboro and Hillsborough/Orange County chambers of commerce, the expo is meant to showcase local businesses and promote local spending.

"The business expo is designed to give the local community a chance to meet and greet business owners and build relationships with local owners and managers," said Aaron Nelson, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce's executive director.

About 70 businesses were showcased to an estimated 3,000 people at the event. The convention encouraged locals to shop close to home through the Buy Local campaign, which organizers hope will benefit the area's economy.

The campaign will be promoted through window clings, featuring the program's name and its motto - "Spend it here. Keep it here."

"It's more of an educational campaign, seeking to educate people that keeping money in the community benefits everything from schools to infrastructure, emergency services and parks; it is all tax dollars from local spending," said Carla Thames, Economic Development Specialist for Orange County.

The businesses presenting at the expo complemented the push to encourage local spending. "I am a local-based photographer," said Chris Elam, proprietor of Playful Portraits Photography. "- I buy locally, I work with Southeastern Cameras in Carrboro. I'm actually based in Durham but I do most of my shopping between Durham and Chapel Hill."

Allison Nichols, of Maple View Farm, participated in the show to promote the farm's new store in Carrboro across from Carr Mill Mall. She said that local spending is important for the local economy. "We only sell products from Orange County. We use local products, local strawberries, honey and we feature a craft lady from Hillsborough," she said.

The event has become a staple for local businesses, providing a venue for local businesses to see and be seen.

"This is the fourth year we've hosted this event," said Anthony Carey, the Sheraton's general manager. "We placed food in the back of the room so that people have to go through the vendors to get to it and circle around for coffee and the bar. Hopefully it will draw people in to talk to the vendors."

The Sheraton also sponsored a two-hour networking session called Business After Hours for 350 business leaders.

"The event also gives us an opportunity to showcase what we can offer," Carey said.