Locals combat military pitches

A clause in the No Child Left Behind Act requiring high schools to give military recruiters access to students' contact information has brought little change to the way N.C. school systems interact with recruiters.

But in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, the provision has some parents worried.

The information, which most schools have provided to recruiters and colleges for years, includes a student's name, address and phone number. Parents may contact their child's school if they do not want the information disclosed.

But in a state with a strong military presence, opposition to the rule has generally been minimal.

But Doug Glasgow, a career development specialist at Chapel Hill High School, said more requests have been made to remove students' information from the lists schools provide to recruiters, especially in the past year.

"There are heightened concerns among some parents in the Chapel Hill community that the military has changed its recruiting tactics as a result of current world situations" he said.

Still, he emphasized that giving student contact information to recruiters, as well as to colleges and universities, is nothing new.

Bob Harrison, public affairs specialist for the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion in Raleigh, said the law has had few effects within the state, noting the positive relationship recruiters have had with high schools in North Carolina.

In the event that a school would want to withhold information, Harrison said the new requirement could make "a particular recruiter's life easier." But he said he hasn't heard of any such instances.

Still, Douglas Smith, a spokesman for the U.S. Army Recruiting Command at Fort Knox, Ky., said some high school recruiters have run into road blocks.

A small minority of schools were not providing directory information to recruiters before the No Child Left Behind Act was put in place, he said. This forced them to search for potential applicants on a more individual basis, utilizing, for example, yearbooks and career fairs.

In such school systems, the No Child Left Behind Act allows recruiters to establish a relationship with as many students as possible.

But Smith made it clear that military recruiters do not intend to draw students away from college.

In many cases, recruiting pays off in the future rather than directly after high school, he said.

"We realize that two-thirds of graduating high school seniors intend to go to college," Smith said. "In fiscal year 2004, the average age of an active Army enlistee was 21.3 years old."

While schools must comply with the law, school officials can decide how actively they advertise parental options.

Bruce Hunter, associate executive director of the American Association of School Administrators, said parental concerns remain the highest priority in the decisions of school systems.

"In public education, the communities make their own rules," he said. "Washington (D.C.) makes the laws, but laws are implemented in ways that adhere to community wishes.

"We have a 30-year history of letting parents control the release of all student information, right down to what shows up on the football roster."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.