Locals look for enlightenment

Online exclusive

An ordained Buddhist monk who came to enlighten Carrboro residents offered only one disclaimer.

"This is only for people who are seeking happiness," he said.

Gen Kelsang Tilopa, a fully ordained Buddhist monk from the Kosala Buddhist Center in Durham, spoke Wednesday night about attaining "a beautiful life through meditation and Buddhist view" at the Carrboro Century Center.

Known for his humor, the Scottish-born Tilopa entertained the audience with anecdotes that involved Caribbean vacations, red Ferraris and his youth.

"Believe in your worst enemy," said Tilopa at the end of one of his stories. "Their mother loves them - at least they make somebody happy."

Tilopa warned the audience about searching for happiness and truth in the material world and that negativity and criticism can block one's path to inner peace.

He explained that the true desire to make another person happy is what fuels the most successful relationships.

"Why am I so special that my happiness should be important?" he asked the audience rhetorically.

"We fulfill our purpose by making others happy, and we'll delight our mate."

Audience members asked questions on topics ranging from anger and isolation to criticism and guilt.

The religious teacher spoke softly during a meditation period as audience members made themselves comfortable, either by leaning back in their seats and closing their eyes, or by kneeling on mats on the floor.

The meditation was a two-stage process. Participants had to "find an object," and then "hold the object with gentle concentration."

"The object that we are going to find is a mind of great joy," Tilopa said.

The session lasted for an hour and a half, and audience members lingered to enjoy refreshments afterward.

"I've found that what I've heard and seen (about Buddhism) so far is applicable to our modern situation," said Chapel Hill resident Sarah Bruce.

"This is a lesson in coping," she added.

Ken Hoff, of Carrboro, has been interested in Buddhism for 12 years and enjoyed learning from Tilopa.

"He wants to start a presence here," Hoff said.

"He wants to see if there are people here who would be into this."

More information is available at www.meditation-in-northcarolina.org.