Los Lobos treats crowd to rousing show

Online
Review
Los Lobos
Memorial Hall
3.5 stars

Those looking for a way to spice up a calm Sunday evening were treated to a show in Memorial Hall by Los Lobos, musical veterans of what is often described as "Mexican-roots rock."

Hailing from Los Angeles, the group has been performing together for 31 years. The name may ring a bell in the ears of the average listener as the band that had a hit with the remake of "La Bamba" in the late '80s.

Even though the Grammy award-winning ensemble has 13 full-length albums under its belt, guitarist and vocalist Cesar Rosas was still playfully hocking the band's latest live recording and promised the earnest crowd autographs after the show.

Los Lobos' two sets included original songs as well as renditions of traditional Mexican folk songs, including "La Pistola Y El CorazA3n." This particular tune was sung beautifully by David Hidalgo, as he also played the accordion. While one might not immediately think of such an instrument when thinking of traditional Mexican musical stylings, it complemented the fast-paced guitar riffs.

Offering a well-paced show that was balanced between Spanish and English lyrics, Los Lobos demonstrated its ability to integrate the audience into its wide range of musical styles.

Even if one wasn't able to interpret the flowing foreign lyrics in certain pieces, the raw musical talent still was easy to appreciate. Although there were varying instruments featured throughout the show, the guitar was the dominant force, with the intricate finger work demonstrated by band members visible even from the mezzanine of the hall.

Certain tunes were audibly crowd-pleasers, including "One Time One Night" and the lolling instrumental "Arizona Skies."

The members reminisced during the first set about the last time they played in Chapel Hill, and concurred that it was at Cats Cradle in 1984. Eleven years after their last stop in Blue Heaven, it sounded like the Hill was thrilled to have them back.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.